NEWEST version of msn

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JordanLB23, Mar 23, 2008.

1. JordanLB23 macrumors regular

What is the newest version of msn for mac that i can download? thx

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

iChat 4.0.2. Seriously, use either Adium, aMSN, or iChat for your MSN contacts. Microsoft Messenger for Mac is woefully out of date. They're talking about releasing a new version, but... it's Microsoft. It'll be delayed. Years.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

WAIIIIIIT

what??

im sry but i just got my macbookpro yesterday. so if iuse ichat or something can i still talk to my friends? all of them use msn live messenger..

would ichat let me use like those display pics or nudges n stuff? im confused plz help meout thx

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It also doesn't have AV support yet, MSN for Windows added audio support in 2000, so its possible for Duke Nukem Forever to come out before MS add AV support to MSN messenger for Mac :rolleyes:.

Yes, Adium is better though.
    I'm not a big IM fan myself so I don't know :).

6. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

k ima go download adium right now. how do i uninstall stuff on a mac?

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

NO NO NO. I recommend Adium for all your MSNing. Mercury lets you do nudges, but Adium does not, however it does have an awesome skinnable interface, and Mercury is fugly.

There are complicated ways of doing MSN through iChat, but they're text only, like this one: http://ascarter.wordpress.com/2006/08/15/ichat-with-msn/

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Drag to the trash.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Drag from the Applications folder to the trash.

Some huge apps have an uninstaller with them. To uninstall GarageBand, I recommend AppCleaner, as it removes all the app remainders, which amount to GBs in GarageBand: http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/

10. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

11. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yep, no stupid Add/Remove Programs any more.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yep. I use iChat because it's pretty much the best thing out there, even though virtually everyone I know is MSN based. Follow these instructions to combine your contacts under iChat.

13. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

i might actualy jus use msn 6.0.3 ..

adiumis WIERD

14. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

How so?

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I recommend you look around the Adium Xtras site and find the stuff that suits you

In my opinion, Messenger sucks, and its hideous

16. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

its just i dont like the messenger box where u IM. its so simple and boring.

17. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Then download a new skin for it.

18. JordanLB23 thread starter macrumors regular

no but its so simple...

like its just a box, it doesnt have that display pic thing on the right like on msn messenger,

19. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

It's completely customizable.

Look at mine for instance (in the picture below. I've blurred mine and my friend's pictures/names by the way, to protect their privacy, incase you think it's part of the program). I have the pictures on mine, it's just not like Windows. Plus it looks good (In my opinion) and is clean, and simple.

And with the right plug-in, you can do video/audio chat too. While it's not built in or perfect, it's better than nothing when it comes to MSN, which isn't supported very well on Macs because it's a Microsoft product, and Microsoft sucks. lol.

Trust me, it's better to break the habit of wanting everything to look the same as it was.

Attached Files:

20. Braby macrumors member

I did that, but when I use iChat, it only shows the e-mail addresses of the contacts, not the name.

21. since85mac macrumors newbie

what a revoltin' development!!!!

geez, this sucks! here I am sitting here with my new (to me) 12" 1gig ibook, my first-ever OSX machine and unless I buy an upgrade there is no way I can use yahoo or any messnger with AV!

in the meantime sitting next to me is a borrowed, thrown-together-from -parts, pentium ONE, win98 piece of crap that I've been using as an email station in the meantime that gives me free voicechat and webcam on Yahoo! with no problem!

what a revoltin' development!!!! :mad:

22. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I Follwed The Instructions But Can't Log In I Downloaded PSI From Here As The Link Did Not Work In The Guide. I've Entered Everything In Correct;y As Far As I Can Tell. But It Won't Log In:mad:

23. katejones macrumors regular

katejones

I use messenger for mac: 6, it doesnt support nudges voices or videos but does have custom smileys and doesnt have adverts and garbage like the windows version. I like it better than Adium.

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

does skype work for you?

25. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Going from the Windows version of MSN to the Mac version is a bit of a shock at first. The Windows version has a ton of buttons, features, ads, pop up windows, annoying noises, etc. The Mac version is simplified, ad free, and without all the obnoxious stuff that comes with the Windows version. If you are used to, (or enjoy) using nudges and the like, you will have to use an application other than MSN for Mac.

Adium took some getting used to, but after finding a skin I liked, and just giving it a chance, I now enjoy it. When I am on my PC, I can no longer stand all the crap in the Windows version of MSN, (as if that wasn't obvious so far). I ended up installing Trillian on my PC because it's got a calmer, simpler interface, similar to Adium. I don't miss the other features at all.

Don't be too quick to uninstall Adium. Give it a week, and see if it grows on you. :) Good luck, whatever you decide, and congrats on the new Mac. :)