Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
iChat 4.0.2. Seriously, use either Adium, aMSN, or iChat for your MSN contacts. Microsoft Messenger for Mac is woefully out of date. They're talking about releasing a new version, but... it's Microsoft. It'll be delayed. Years.

Comment

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
WAIIIIIIT

what??

im sry but i just got my macbookpro yesterday. so if iuse ichat or something can i still talk to my friends? all of them use msn live messenger..

would ichat let me use like those display pics or nudges n stuff? im confused plz help meout thx

Comment

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
It also doesn't have AV support yet, MSN for Windows added audio support in 2000, so its possible for Duke Nukem Forever to come out before MS add AV support to MSN messenger for Mac :rolleyes:.

so if iuse ichat or something can i still talk to my friends?

Yes, Adium is better though.
would ichat let me use like those display pics or nudges n stuff? im confused plz help meout thx

I'm not a big IM fan myself so I don't know :).

Comment

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
k ima go download adium right now. how do i uninstall stuff on a mac?

Comment

Retired
May 16, 2006
WAIIIIIIT

what??

im sry but i just got my macbookpro yesterday. so if iuse ichat or something can i still talk to my friends? all of them use msn live messenger..

NO NO NO. I recommend Adium for all your MSNing. Mercury lets you do nudges, but Adium does not, however it does have an awesome skinnable interface, and Mercury is fugly.

There are complicated ways of doing MSN through iChat, but they're text only, like this one: http://ascarter.wordpress.com/2006/08/15/ichat-with-msn/

Comment

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
its just i dont like the messenger box where u IM. its so simple and boring.

Comment

JordanLB23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
no but its so simple...

like its just a box, it doesnt have that display pic thing on the right like on msn messenger,

Comment

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
It's completely customizable.

Look at mine for instance (in the picture below. I've blurred mine and my friend's pictures/names by the way, to protect their privacy, incase you think it's part of the program). I have the pictures on mine, it's just not like Windows. Plus it looks good (In my opinion) and is clean, and simple.

And with the right plug-in, you can do video/audio chat too. While it's not built in or perfect, it's better than nothing when it comes to MSN, which isn't supported very well on Macs because it's a Microsoft product, and Microsoft sucks. lol.

Trust me, it's better to break the habit of wanting everything to look the same as it was.

Attachments

• Picture 1 copy.png
    Picture 1 copy.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 90
Comment

since85mac

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
what a revoltin' development!!!!

geez, this sucks! here I am sitting here with my new (to me) 12" 1gig ibook, my first-ever OSX machine and unless I buy an upgrade there is no way I can use yahoo or any messnger with AV!

in the meantime sitting next to me is a borrowed, thrown-together-from -parts, pentium ONE, win98 piece of crap that I've been using as an email station in the meantime that gives me free voicechat and webcam on Yahoo! with no problem!

what a revoltin' development!!!! :mad:

Comment

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
I use iChat because it's pretty much the best thing out there, even though virtually everyone I know is MSN based. Follow these instructions to combine your contacts under iChat.

I Follwed The Instructions But Can't Log In I Downloaded PSI From Here As The Link Did Not Work In The Guide. I've Entered Everything In Correct;y As Far As I Can Tell. But It Won't Log In:mad:

Comment

katejones

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
Australia
I use messenger for mac: 6, it doesnt support nudges voices or videos but does have custom smileys and doesnt have adverts and garbage like the windows version. I like it better than Adium.

Comment

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
Going from the Windows version of MSN to the Mac version is a bit of a shock at first. The Windows version has a ton of buttons, features, ads, pop up windows, annoying noises, etc. The Mac version is simplified, ad free, and without all the obnoxious stuff that comes with the Windows version. If you are used to, (or enjoy) using nudges and the like, you will have to use an application other than MSN for Mac.

Adium took some getting used to, but after finding a skin I liked, and just giving it a chance, I now enjoy it. When I am on my PC, I can no longer stand all the crap in the Windows version of MSN, (as if that wasn't obvious so far). I ended up installing Trillian on my PC because it's got a calmer, simpler interface, similar to Adium. I don't miss the other features at all.

Don't be too quick to uninstall Adium. Give it a week, and see if it grows on you. :) Good luck, whatever you decide, and congrats on the new Mac. :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.