Newi Phone ..... someone elses login to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TB07-NJ, Aug 12, 2008.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Got a brand new (right out of the sealed package from AT&T) iPhone. Haven't taken it home to sync yet (I'm at work) but when I go to iTunes it comes up with someone elses account name (SaddiqTanveer@<removed>.com) and prompts for his password. I can't log out of his account nor can I guess his password :) .

There is no login or logout option, only a password option for his account. How can I logout of his account?

Why is his account even there?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You did say WORK computer right? Just log out that person, then log yourself in. Why would you want to activate your 3G iPHone on a work computer? I'm pretty sure work IT wouldn't allow it for me. And all your contacts are available for anyone to view and copy...:eek:

3. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

No, I said I am AT WORK. It won't be connected to any computer until I get home. This account is being accesed from the phone itself via wi-fi.

The question remains, why am in someone else's account on iTunes and can't even log out .....

I'm sure when I sync with my iTunes account at home it will fix itself but where did this guy come from and how did his account get into my phone and why can't I get rid of him? :confused:

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

That is very strange.

It may have been a returned iPhone and the data wasn't deleted completed.

Or maybe this person entered their info in an Apple Store Mac that was used to activate your phone.

5. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

email the guy to see if he's ever returned an iPhone. If I gtot a 2nd hand phone when I asked for a new one I'd be extrely pissed off.

6. fireman13 macrumors 6502

The same exact thing happened to me. I recieved my phone on the 7th of Aug. Through DF and when I got home I went into the app store to download an app and noticed that someone with the name jim_mandee@xxxxxx account was on my phone. I tried to email him to see if maybe he bought and returned the phone but have not heard back from him. I have to say I was really upset and feel like I payed full price for someone elses return

7. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

I just realized what it must be. They activate the phone using iTunes at the AT&T store (mine came from DF as well). That's must be the account they used to activate it. Or maybe that is the account they use for final testing?
    The phone had absolutely no data on it and zero minutes of useage of any sort. It was fully sealed. I doubt it had been used.

8. fireman13 macrumors 6502

yeah, that does make since as I had no sign of data or cell usage and the phone is perfect I mean 0 dead pixels, no light leaks, no lagg or anything. Well, the battery isn't as good as my first gen but that all so I can't see why anyone would take it back. Has anyone else had an experience like this or know what this is about? I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but then again I'm new here.

Thanks in advance.

9. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

just log into your iTunes and restore/sync the phone.

10. fireman13 macrumors 6502

yeah, I did a few days ago, was going to call apple about it but figured they wouldn't do anything about it anyway.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's probably true, the AT&T Store probably had someone else's iTunes account on the screen and just activated the iPhone without logging off. When I was at the Apple Store, I logged in with my username and password, then the Genius did his show and I was out of the store in about 5 minutes...:cool:

12. fireman13 macrumors 6502

makes me feel a lot better. I was worried..... correction, Pissed when I got home and saw someone else name on my phone. I guess your right though, if you bought it at an apple store you would login to your iTunes account and those that bought at AT&T probably synced as soon as they got home. Makes sense how no one really saw this as a problem.

Thanks guys for you help.