newish macbook pro won't start up (sleep indicator flashes)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlindOptimism, Sep 18, 2008.

1. BlindOptimism macrumors newbie

Hi guys :) could you possible intimate as to what is wrong? i realise this isn't specificately a technical help site, but i figure, you guys will know your stuff?

some details;

brought my macbook pro 15" on saturday, spent the last few days getting to grips with it, etc. today i was listening to iTunes (with visualiser) and editing pictures and it crashed (i couldn't 'force quit' - the whole system crashed.) so i pressed and held the 'power' button to switch off. now it won't come back on. The 'sleep' light flashes for a few seconds, and then goes off.

i tried everything suggested in the manual, taking out the battery, etc, but all that happens is the sleep button flashing briefly. i move to a new city on saturday to start uni (that's why i needed the mac) and really if this needs to be fixed/replaced i'm in real trouble. any suggestions? thanks guys :) have a nice day

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

You might want to check Apple's website, but I think the flashing sleep light is a sign of bad or poorly seated RAM. Did you recently install new RAM? If so, consider trying to re-seat it.

3. BlindOptimism thread starter macrumors newbie

i haven't done anything to it, that's why i'm so baffled. thanks for your suggestion i really appriciate it :)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Boot up your computer with the Apple Restore DVD #1 in the drive and hold the 'D' during boot. This should run the hardware tests.

Before you being the test, make sure the "Perform extended testing" checkbox is checked.

5. BlindOptimism thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll try what you suggested, and thanks for the links. i'll let you know if i am successful. thank you very much :)

6. BlindOptimism thread starter macrumors newbie

actually, i dont get the oppertunity to boot up. nothing happens when i press the power button except the sleep indicator flasing. so i can't insert the cd in the slot