Newly installed 1TB HD - issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OffsetZ33, May 29, 2010.

1. OffsetZ33 macrumors newbie

I just installed last night the 1TB WD Scorpio Blue without a problem in a 2010 MBP 13", but seem to be having some issues now. Im showing the drive is shown w/red text and failing the SMART status in the disk utility. It showed verified when I installed it last night and reinstalled OS X, but now this. I have also been getting some beachballs, but does seem to be running fine now. Is this a sign of just a bad drive, or is it normal for a non-apple drive to fail the smart status check?

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's not normal and most likely the drive is defective.

3. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

SMART is a universal diagnostic and is not exclusive to the operating system. Therefore if SMART is reporting errors, they are coming from the hardware.

4. OffsetZ33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - thats what I figured, but on newegg there is one review/post stating that the WD drives do not pass the smart test on apple systems and is normal - that didnt sound right to me. Ill do an RMA on the drive from newegg and get a replacement coming.

5. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

You system must be having some problems with the drive, and it may be defective, so better replace it with another one.

6. WG5516 macrumors regular

1tb in your MBP? I'm guessing it's 3.5?

7. OffsetZ33 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, WD has a 1TB 2.5 drive but is 12.5mm (wd10tpvt) - fits just fine in the unibody MBPs. There have been a few threads on this particular drive.

8. WG5516 macrumors regular

Ok thanks, I have to do a search for that.

9. Slowstick macrumors 6502

That's strange. I just installed that same drive in my MBP and had no problems with SMART. I did have some OSX related problems. A clean install fixed that.

10. OffsetZ33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know yours is working as it should. I likely just got a bum drive... Its still working but shows failing SMART and reccomends backup and replacement of the drive.