Newly installed SSD, memory question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pugnaciousp, Dec 13, 2011.

1. pugnaciousp macrumors newbie

pugnaciousp

I recently upgraded my MBP with an OCZ 120GB SSD and put that where my HDD used to be. I've replaced the superdrive with a caddy and put the HDD in there. After a bit of confusion, I decided to just do a clean install of Lion on the SSD and format the HDD for storage. So I've only really installed some apps on that SSD but it is showing me this...[​IMG]

Where is that 90.59gb of "backups" coming from? How do I get rid of it? I'm using Time Machine but all of that is set up to sync to an external drive. Help.

Attached Files:

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Those are local time machine snapshots. More details here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4878

It's that large right now since you probably moved/copied/deleted a lot of files.

Somewhere in this forum you can find how to disable this feature and delete the backups. However if you read the explanation in the above link carefully, you will notice that it is not necessary to manually deactivate and delete this.

edit: Since you're having two internal HDs, it might make sense to tell OSX to store the local snapshots on the big HDD and not on the SSD. However I don't know how to do that.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In the terminal issue the following statement to disable the local snapshots
    sudo tmutil disablelocal

4. pugnaciousp thread starter macrumors newbie

pugnaciousp

Thank you all! I finally solved it!

I ran the terminal code to stop the local shapshots, then just synced my time machine and restarted.

Now my space is back! (With the exception of some random 27.61gb?) But I can finally put bootcamp on here without worrying about space. Sweeeeet.

Attached Files: