Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FederalBmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I just bought a brand new black 2.4ghz macbook yesterday. It is my first mac. i have never really used one except in the store but ive never put in a cd instore. well when i insert a cd in my macbook i hear some clunking noises and whirring. is this normal? when i was installing wow it was extremly loud whirring noises until it was done and ejected the disk. right now im ripping music to itunes and some of my cds arent being recognized. i have to eject the disc and put it in again for it to be recognized. should i call apple? i did a hardware test but im not sure what else i can do to see if this really is an issue. thanks in advance for your help!

FederalBmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
yea the cds are perfect. no scratches whatsoever. but it doesnt eject it when it doesnt read it like it did to a cd that was scratched right now.

FederalBmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
i jusst put in a cd to test it. i recognized it as an audio cd and then the icon that said audio cd on the desktop dissapeard and the cd isnt showing up in itunes. this sucks i just bought this thing last night. i dont really want to drive 45min to the apple store again.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
45 minute drive is your last option...

i jusst put in a cd to test it. i recognized it as an audio cd and then the icon that said audio cd on the desktop dissapeard and the cd isnt showing up in itunes. this sucks i just bought this thing last night. i dont really want to drive 45min to the apple store again.

but I recommend that you bring all the disks with you, that includes the ones that worked fine and the problem disks. Hope you don't have to wait long. KMA (Keep Me Advised). :(

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
I just bought a brand new black 2.4ghz macbook yesterday. It is my first mac. i have never really used one except in the store but ive never put in a cd instore. well when i insert a cd in my macbook i hear some clunking noises and whirring. is this normal? when i was installing wow it was extremly loud whirring noises until it was done and ejected the disk. right now im ripping music to itunes and some of my cds arent being recognized. i have to eject the disc and put it in again for it to be recognized. should i call apple? i did a hardware test but im not sure what else i can do to see if this really is an issue. thanks in advance for your help!

I find that Apple, HP or Compaq generated CDs and DVDs can be iffy on the others equipment so I keep a Sony external connected to my iMac. If any of these have a hard time reading, the Sony reads it fine. In the old days this used to happen with floppy disks; but not as often.

FederalBmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
is there anyway to test the superdrive w/o driving all the way to the macstore. the nearest apple store for me is in natick and thats 45min away lol. they should build a new one closer just for me.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
is there anyway to test the superdrive w/o driving all the way to the macstore. the nearest apple store for me is in natick and thats 45min away lol. they should build a new one closer just for me.

Take it to an authorized repair center. Oh and by the way, 45 minutes is nothing. Go to the Apple store, there isn't one near me and I've had to send mine in before.

FederalBmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
45min is something when you are broke and need money to fill your tank so you can drive to work to make more money haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.