NEWMACBOOK.....superdrive issues? help please.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FederalBmx, Mar 21, 2008.

1. FederalBmx macrumors member

I just bought a brand new black 2.4ghz macbook yesterday. It is my first mac. i have never really used one except in the store but ive never put in a cd instore. well when i insert a cd in my macbook i hear some clunking noises and whirring. is this normal? when i was installing wow it was extremly loud whirring noises until it was done and ejected the disk. right now im ripping music to itunes and some of my cds arent being recognized. i have to eject the disc and put it in again for it to be recognized. should i call apple? i did a hardware test but im not sure what else i can do to see if this really is an issue. thanks in advance for your help!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Clunking and whirring is normal. As for the CDs make sure they aren't scratched etc. Then if not, call apple.

4. FederalBmx thread starter macrumors member

yea the cds are perfect. no scratches whatsoever. but it doesnt eject it when it doesnt read it like it did to a cd that was scratched right now.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Normal...

but if your Superdrive is not recognizing your CDs/DVDs then that is not normal. Your Superdrive recognizes: SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) anything outside of these discs, will eject your disc. :cool:

6. FederalBmx thread starter macrumors member

i jusst put in a cd to test it. i recognized it as an audio cd and then the icon that said audio cd on the desktop dissapeard and the cd isnt showing up in itunes. this sucks i just bought this thing last night. i dont really want to drive 45min to the apple store again.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

45 minute drive is your last option...

but I recommend that you bring all the disks with you, that includes the ones that worked fine and the problem disks. Hope you don't have to wait long. KMA (Keep Me Advised). :(

8. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I find that Apple, HP or Compaq generated CDs and DVDs can be iffy on the others equipment so I keep a Sony external connected to my iMac. If any of these have a hard time reading, the Sony reads it fine. In the old days this used to happen with floppy disks; but not as often.

9. FederalBmx thread starter macrumors member

is there anyway to test the superdrive w/o driving all the way to the macstore. the nearest apple store for me is in natick and thats 45min away lol. they should build a new one closer just for me.

10. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Take it to an authorized repair center. Oh and by the way, 45 minutes is nothing. Go to the Apple store, there isn't one near me and I've had to send mine in before.

11. FederalBmx thread starter macrumors member

45min is something when you are broke and need money to fill your tank so you can drive to work to make more money haha