Newport Beach. C&C

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Puckman, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Puckman macrumors 6502

Posted one of these in the Photo of the Day thread. But thought I'd post the best of the series and look for some critique and pointers.

Composition is not stellar, I know (due to time and location constraints), but it was good practice. Due to the midday lighting, the originals looked fairly drab. Some contrast curve tweaking and a bit of vibrance/saturation brought out the colors nicely. But does it look overdone?

[​IMG]
    IMG_3886 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3848 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3844 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3832 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3829 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

2. ChrisA, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

ChrisA macrumors G4

3848 with the kid on the sand is the only interresting composition but I think you've over done the color changes to the point past "believability". That is the limit on contrast/color adjusts I set for my self. When it starts to look "fake" I back off a bit. Yours looks fake.

The others are the kind of imges 1,000 peole make every day but 3848 has some strong design elements and is simple enough except for those houses and pelm trees in the upper right. Maybe some selective blur or darkening? I don't know.

3829 looks like a good us full shot for a background for something else, maye it it ina product ad uder the product and text. I always look for shots that I can use on power point or in green screen video productions The color in this is still believable because there are no people or other objects

3. Puckman thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Chris. That's precisely the feedback I was looking for re: the colors. I usually feel like I undersaturate in my post-processing, so I wanted to try and add a little more pop here and see what everyone thought.

Composition-wise, I know none of these are very exciting. Mostly was doing this as an exercise, since I happened to be at the beach and the sky was clear, the weather was good and the waves looked pretty :)