News app: "Channel unavailable"

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ahaaja, Jul 17, 2016.

1. ahaaja macrumors member

Hey!
    Anyone in Europe or elsewhere outside of US having this problem? NY Times, Engagdet, BBC News etc. all show this error. AppleInsider is one of few that is working.

This is despite having changed my region in settings to the US and language to English. Does this also mean Americans are not able to read news when they are abroad?

Regards

2. niji, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016

niji macrumors 6502a

niji

yes. for the 1st time i am getting this message.
    my settings were not changed.
    it seems to be affecting news channels like the ones you mentioned: specific established news publications.
    and not effecting the other kinds of topics that you have made in Favorites.
    for me, the following are not available now for the 1st time (error reads: Channel Unavailable This channel isn't currently available in your region.)
    Ars Technica
    The Atlantic
    FiveThirtyEight
    Los Angeles Times
    NPR
    CNN
    and many more
    am in Japan. with regional preference set to the USA (so that News app can appear!).
    i tried with VPN with an IP in the USA and it still does not work.
    obviously apple changed something on their end.
    also: this started to happen before the iOS 9.3.3 update so before and after update to 9.3.3 it still happens.
    the odd thing about it is that News app developers are told that unless they specifically set market limitations to where their content can be read it will appear in all markets that the News app is readable in. so its also clearly not these publications who have all set their geographical limitation at the same time. apple changed the setting.

is anyone running iOS10 beta: is News still limited to certain markets only?