Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
I know I am a fool, and there is a saying never touch a running system. But I'm ignorant to such advises and had to give leopard a shot on my 24" alu iMac.
The installation went quite fine and took like 40 minutes. Unlike the promised 1h 40. After 30 minutes I finally got my eyes away from that incredible good designed box that leopard comes in…

Ok, back to topic. I have 1.0 fine running iMac that was freezing with 1.1. And immediately after my first login I had my first freezing again. So this really proves to me that there is an issue with the driver…
But as I cannot easily revert back to my old system I tried to reset pram and for now it seems to work. Which does not mean anything, but I will tell you if a freezing occurs again.

Just for hints, if you chose archive and installed you should better remove all applications from your dock and put them in again as they might point to an invalid application which immediately crashes...

gorby

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
I know I am a fool, and there is a saying never touch a running system. But I'm ignorant to such advises and had to give leopard a shot on my 24" alu iMac.
The installation went quite fine and took like 40 minutes. Unlike the promised 1h 40. After 30 minutes I finally got my eyes away from that incredible good designed box that leopard comes in…

Ok, back to topic. I have 1.0 fine running iMac that was freezing with 1.1. And immediately after my first login I had my first freezing again. So this really proves to me that there is an issue with the driver…
But as I cannot easily revert back to my old system I tried to reset pram and for now it seems to work. Which does not mean anything, but I will tell you if a freezing occurs again.

Just for hints, if you chose archive and installed you should better remove all applications from your dock and put them in again as they might point to an invalid application which immediately crashes...

Thanks for the heads up

Bolteh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Guess I won't be installing it untill Apple releases a fix for these retarded issues -_-

5 days to go untill the end of October.. C'mon Apple! You can do it!

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Sorry to hear of your problems. But it was discussed here only yesterday..
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/374403/
Should have been a warning to you!? Albeit one that just shouldn't be necessary from Apple.
Leopard essentially has the 1.1 update built in now. So if you had problems with the 1.1 update in tiger, then you'll have the same problems in Leopard.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Back to 10.4

After resetting the PRAM my Mac was fine for some days. But in the last 2 days it crashed way more often with leopard. I am thus back to 10.4 now :(
I hope Apple comes out with a fix soon.
I compared the drivers from leopard. They are not just the 1.1 drivers. They are different. My guess is that it is because of the OpenGL extensions which have been implemented. So no way to go back to 1.0 in leopard :(

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I compared the drivers from leopard. They are not just the 1.1 drivers. They are different.

I saw this too. According to the Apple system profiler, the ATI graphics extensions are as follows..

Tiger no updates = V1.5.4
Tiger with 1.0 update = V1.5.4
Tiger with 1.1 update = V1.5.6
Leopard no updates = V1.5.16

But as we know, not everyones iMacs suffers a freeze caused by the same things. So far, Leopard & my iMac has not frozen once. Not even with UT2004 which was a consistent freeze trigger for my iMac with Tiger regardless of updates applied.
However, now I worry that some change to the OS further down the line will bring the freezes back :rolleyes:

andorino

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
I saw this too. According to the Apple system profiler, the ATI graphics extensions are as follows..

But as we know, not everyones iMacs suffers a freeze caused by the same things. So far, Leopard & my iMac has not frozen once. Not even with UT2004 which was a consistent freeze trigger for my iMac with Tiger regardless of updates applied.
However, now I worry that some change to the OS further down the line will bring the freezes back :rolleyes:

Well, that's interesting. I got my 24" iMac on Friday. 0 screen problems (that I can discern), 0 freezes, 0 issues with condensation.

My driver version information has:

ATIRadeonX2000:

Version: 1.5.8
Last Modified: 9/11/07 3:15 AM
Get Info String: ATIRadeonX2000 1.5.8.9 (4903)
kext Version: 5.0.8
Load Address: 0x3cd66000

This for hardware information:
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:
Chipset Model: ATI,RadeonHD2600
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9583
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B2250F-212
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.212

I'm still running Tiger, waiting on my Leopard up-to-date order (and perhaps for 10.5.1).

Retired
May 16, 2006
For those checking this thread, there is now an update that should fix this :)

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Just to add, for those interested..

Leopard with 1.3 update = V1.5.18

Not tested Tiger and the 1.2 update, but I would expect it to be similar to Leopard with the 1.3 update.

Btw, strictly speaking, I still have not installed the 1.3 update, as my iMac had been behaving lately with Leopard. However, I have a second install of Leopard for test purposes on an external hd, so I applied the update to that.

AppleCare called me this morning too, to kindly remind me that my complimentary 90 days AppleCare cover was about to expire :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.