Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maui19

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Everytime I launch and use Apple News+, my MB Air (mid 2012) heats up like a blowtorch. Sometimes I can see it is maxing out the CPU, but other times CPU usage is moderate, and my Air stills runs hot with the fans cranking at 5-6k rpm. It's bad enough that I'm thinking about dumping my AN+ subscription. Anyone else have this problem?

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Reading the news makes me run hot too

Apple news doesn’t do this on any of my macs. Even older ones. Do you have a bunch of background processes going on?

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I have a similar issue with Yahoo in Safari on my 2011 MacBook Pro. After a short time the fan revs up noticeably. Nothing else running at the time.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
It happens to me, too. The News app is just trash. It's all fun and games until something like marzipan Messages causes this to happen.

Tallgrass

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
Everytime I launch and use Apple News+, my MB Air (mid 2012) heats up like a blowtorch. Sometimes I can see it is maxing out the CPU, but other times CPU usage is moderate, and my Air stills runs hot with the fans cranking at 5-6k rpm. It's bad enough that I'm thinking about dumping my AN+ subscription. Anyone else have this problem?
I experienced the same issue with the news app causing my MBA to run burning hot. In fact it was the first time I ever heard my fans come on. I closed the app and I have not opened it since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.