Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Here is the thing. Its not a legacy thing as people have proven over and over again. The 1,1 has been crippled so that you need to upgrade to a new machine. Problem is that the 2006 MP is still a great machine. High quality sever chips and parts and ocotocore CPU power and up to date GPU. It cost me 6k to buy my MP and I am not going to spend 20k to get a new one when the old one works fine just so I can airplay. I am not alone on this. I have bought my wife a galaxy pad and am ready to make the change. I know when I am being taken for a ride and denying a patch for the 1,1 is a scam.

1.) Where is the crippling. There are Macs with EFI64 that aren't going to get ML support either. Mini 2008, Macbook 2007 have EFi64 yet don't get ML support. It is not just an EFI64 and the ability to boot a 64bit Kernel that means you get an ML upgrade/

2.) Definitely don't spend 20K to buy a Mac Pro to Airplay, as you will be even more disappointed when you find out that AirPlay is only supported with Sandybridge and Ivybridge based machines. You won't find a Mac Pro listed.

http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/specs/

AirPlay Mirroring
Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later. Supports the following Mac models:

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
2.) Definitely don't spend 20K to buy a Mac Pro to Airplay, as you will be even more disappointed when you find out that AirPlay is only supported with Sandybridge and Ivybridge based machines. You won't find a Mac Pro listed.

http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/specs/

AirPlay Mirroring
Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later. Supports the following Mac models:

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)

Yes, and he might get a nasty shock from his dripping wet diapers.

emmab2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Stoke on trent
For airplay i'm sure someone will find a hack Similar to the dvd sharing on the macbook air , its all a matter of time in my opinion :) , on other news , ordered a 5870 For My Mac Pro :)

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
For airplay i'm sure someone will find a hack Similar to the dvd sharing on the macbook air , its all a matter of time in my opinion :) , on other news , ordered a 5870 For My Mac Pro :)

There is an app called Airparrot that already does it.
It is believed based on the specs of the machines that AirPlay uses Intel quicksync technology to do the work rather then just the CPU.

Have you heard anything more back from Apple at all?

amoulay

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
dark side of the moon
Really because I use a g5 quad. runs cs3 and FCS 7 just fine. My quad is at most a year older than you MP. My work flow doesn't get more difficult because time moves on I do the same things now I did years ago. Your workflow has obviously not gotten more difficult because you still using your same old system.

----------

Have you heard the expression :Time is money"? Your G5 will be still rendering (if it can render at all) when my DVD is already in the mail for the client, and I am only a hobbyist.

Not to mention, one of the biggest scams in the history of business and manufacturer/customer relationship, was selling the silly unbelievably stupid G4 and G5 PowerPcs while the intel MacPros were secretly in production. How many poor victims bought expensive G5s, only to find out a few days later, that a better machine is on the market, for the same expensive price, what a slap on the trap. Look where the PowerPcs are now.... extremely obsolete land, they can't even boil an egg. But that's Apple's motto: expensive products that will transit into obsolescence within 2-3 years. No wonder they have $$$$$$ 100 billion in stacks of cash today.

----------

It is believed based on the specs of the machines that AirPlay uses Intel quicksync technology to do the work rather then just the CPU.

A friend of mine is testing it, it's slow, "cloggy", but promising.

This just in:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/30/jonathan-ive-revenue-good-design

I am rolling on the floor from laughter and anger. It's either he is on something, or I am.

and duhh : http://www.ijailbreak.com/news/download-os-x-10-7-5-build-11g30/

10.7.5 ?? I did not know they had plans to take Lion beyond 7.4. I wonder what does this mean for 1,1 and the LM issue?? Can any one guess? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

emmab2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Stoke on trent

Nothing unfortunitly , i thought i would , but you know apple if there's something they dont want to talk about they wont :D

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
What development time are we talking about here?

New socket 2011 Logic board from Foxconn with a Z79 chipset housed in the same case? This is some complex stuff I'm telling you. Now you want to know what it needs no R&D and it's already being made it;s called the EVGA SR-X they just need to give specifications and make a run of it.

I mean generally. The MP is a premium product, with a premium price. It deserves premium support and development from Apple.

Mine is 6 years old and still going strong. Dropping it from the ML supported list is shortsighted. It's doubly shortsighted when the current offerings are so underwhelming.

I really don't think Apple are thinking this through. If I had an older Mac Mini I could understand Apple not supporting if for ML. I don't have a Mac Mini though, I have a machine costing several times as much with options to upgrade GPU, RAM, CPU, several hard drives, additions PCI cards, etc.

That expand ability plus the price tag is supposed to hedge against obsolescence. Then Apple itself decide to drop development of the OS for the machine. I've been burned.

Apple have one chance to put this right. They may not care but that MP has lead to the purchase of 1 iPad, several iPhones, 7 Mac Books, 1 Apple TV and that's just hardware. They'll never get a cent out of me going forward if they just ignore this.

The only regret is that I'll have to ditch my Mac-only Metric Halo boxes. They're fantastic.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
The only regret is that I'll have to ditch my Mac-only Metric Halo boxes. They're fantastic.

You wont regret Apple loss. You WILL regret Metric Halo loss. Nothing really comparable out there. Maybe a "hackintosh for Halo"?

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
You wont regret Apple loss. You WILL regret Metric Halo loss. Nothing really comparable out there. Maybe a "hackintosh for Halo"?

Definitely an option. I've already learnt a lot getting to the bottom of this ML mess. Ironic that Apple have pushed me into considering it.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Good News, actually VERY GOOD NEWS!

It appears someone has already figured out how to make a true EFI64 support firmware for 1,1 and 2,1 Mac Pros.. Details can be found in this thread of the Mac Pro forums:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1365450/

I haven't tested it as I don't have a 1,1 or 2,1 Mac Pro, but many of you should try it. This could be it. Mountain Lion might be a full REALITY after all.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
It appears someone has already figured out how to make a true EFI64 support firmware for 1,1 and 2,1 Mac Pros.. Details can be found in this thread of the Mac Pro forums:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1365450/

I haven't tested it as I don't have a 1,1 or 2,1 Mac Pro, but many of you should try it. This could be it. Mountain Lion might be a full REALITY after all.

I'm not sure what this is but as it has different versions depending on OS version I doubt it's firmware to upgrade the EFI ROM. People tinker with kexts all the time to get different GPUs supported. Flashing to upgrade firmware seems a much harder proposition without help directly from Apple engineers.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Here is the thing. Its not a legacy thing as people have proven over and over again. The 1,1 has been crippled so that you need to upgrade to a new machine. Problem is that the 2006 MP is still a great machine. High quality sever chips and parts and ocotocore CPU power and up to date GPU. It cost me 6k to buy my MP and I am not going to spend 20k to get a new one when the old one works fine just so I can airplay. I am not alone on this. I have bought my wife a galaxy pad and am ready to make the change. I know when I am being taken for a ride and denying a patch for the 1,1 is a scam.

So the switch is made what's the issue?

----------

I mean generally. The MP is a premium product, with a premium price. It deserves premium support and development from Apple.

Mine is 6 years old and still going strong. Dropping it from the ML supported list is shortsighted. It's doubly shortsighted when the current offerings are so underwhelming.

I really don't think Apple are thinking this through. If I had an older Mac Mini I could understand Apple not supporting if for ML. I don't have a Mac Mini though, I have a machine costing several times as much with options to upgrade GPU, RAM, CPU, several hard drives, additions PCI cards, etc.

That expand ability plus the price tag is supposed to hedge against obsolescence. Then Apple itself decide to drop development of the OS for the machine. I've been burned.

Apple have one chance to put this right. They may not care but that MP has lead to the purchase of 1 iPad, several iPhones, 7 Mac Books, 1 Apple TV and that's just hardware. They'll never get a cent out of me going forward if they just ignore this.

All Mac's are premium priced the MP less so proportionality to the market it competes in.

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
As someone else has pointed out, that 2006 1,1 has directly led to at least half a dozen ipods, 3 mac books, a mac mini, 3 ipads, an airport extreme, 2 airport expresses, 3 iphones, and a hundred or so apps. At this point, all of this tech is at least behind. All of these devices have centered around the 1,1. Apple will lose my entire ecosystem because I am not going to spend 20k for a crappy OS and essetially the same tech that has no real killer features other than making my perfectly good system obsolete and I am not going to replace my MP with some glorified notebook that will fry itself if I leave it on 24/7.

If Apple wants me to upgrade my hardware, they need to offer something really better..like a thunderbolt chassis with storage, ram and GPU all external. As OS with real IOS integration in place of the widgets. How about real cloud storage in place of that pointless icloud.. Otherwise, I run a Windows machine just for a server and storage, a playstation for games, and an android tablet for everything else. If it has native MS Office, this is a no brainer.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
If I bought one of those, do you think it'd be able to run the latest version of Windows or Linux seven years from now?

You just changed the argument. Before it was may Mac was super expensive and I deserve the gloves treatment..

"I mean generally. The MP is a premium product, with a premium price. It deserves premium support and development from Apple."

The MP is not a premium product at a premium price it's a workstation intended to get things done it's really nothing special either by price nor performance or the lack of it.

----------

Have you heard the expression :Time is money"? Your G5 will be still rendering (if it can render at all) when my DVD is already in the mail for the client, and I am only a hobbyist.

Not to mention, one of the biggest scams in the history of business and manufacturer/customer relationship, was selling the silly unbelievably stupid G4 and G5 PowerPcs while the intel MacPros were secretly in production. How many poor victims bought expensive G5s, only to find out a few days later, that a better machine is on the market, for the same expensive price, what a slap on the trap. Look where the PowerPcs are now.... extremely obsolete land, they can't even boil an egg. But that's Apple's motto: expensive products that will transit into obsolescence within 2-3 years. No wonder they have $$$$$$ 100 billion in stacks of cash today.

----------

A friend of mine is testing it, it's slow, "cloggy", but promising.

This just in:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/30/jonathan-ive-revenue-good-design

I am rolling on the floor from laughter and anger. It's either he is on something, or I am.

and duhh : http://www.ijailbreak.com/news/download-os-x-10-7-5-build-11g30/

10.7.5 ?? I did not know they had plans to take Lion beyond 7.4. I wonder what does this mean for 1,1 and the LM issue?? Can any one guess? Thanks in advance.

If that were true in your case the 1,1 would have been dropped long ago.

there are enough people out there using PowerPC that will argue about boiling an egg but that's not what were talking about now is it.

Last edited:

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
You just changed the argument. Before it was may Mac was super expensive and I deserve the gloves treatment..

"I mean generally. The MP is a premium product, with a premium price. It deserves premium support and development from Apple."

The MP is not a premium product at a premium price it's a workstation intended to get things done it's really nothing special either by price nor performance or the lack of it.

I'm not changing the argument.

You linked to a competitor to the MP, your argument is that it's a workstation like the Dell box.

OK, they're both workstations. Would the Dell be able to run Windows X in 7 years time or not?

We both know it would.

----------

I believe my old G5 MP would be able to boil an egg just fine, it certainly ran hot enough.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

You linked to a competitor to the MP, your argument is that it's a workstation like the Dell box.

OK, they're both workstations. Would the Dell be able to run Windows X in 7 years time or not?

We both know it would.

No my argument was it's not a premium product nor priced in that manner. Just like I stated..

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
No my argument was it's not a premium product nor priced in that manner. Just like I stated..

A decent spec'd MP runs at just under $4k.

Not premium? Is it relative? It's certainly premium in comparison to the rest of Apple's machines unless there's a super secret MacPro Really Super Pro with 128 cores I'm not being told about.

My point is valid. You linked to the MP's competitors. Those boxes wouldn't be EOL'd after 7 years. The MP, in fact, just has been. By it's OEM no less. That's a disgrace.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
A decent spec'd MP runs at just under $4k.

Not premium? Is it relative? It's certainly premium in comparison to the rest of Apple's machines unless there's a super secret MacPro Really Super Pro with 128 cores I'm not being told about.

My point is valid. You linked to the MP's competitors. Those boxes wouldn't be EOL'd after 7 years. The MP, in fact, just has been. By it's OEM no less. That's a disgrace.
It's not premium compared to the other workstations it competes against. The MP is not comparable to anything else in Apple line up so comparing price's within the line up is not applicable.

Apple EOL'd your HW, Apple has EOL'd much HW in the past and will continue to EOL HW in the future. This lack of legacy support is the reason Apple is not a large presence in enterprise. Because you're a smart guy you knew that walking in the door after you bought a computer on the cusp of Apple EOL their entire line at that time. Actions and decisions have consequences Apple made theirs and will have to entertain the complainers. You are about to embark on an expensive journey that could get very expensive if a judge considers this frivolous and orders you to pay Apples legal fees. This is the possible consequence of your actions.

Rog210

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2004
It's not premium compared to the other workstations it competes against. The MP is not comparable to anything else in Apple line up so comparing price's within the line up is not applicable.

Apple EOL'd your HW, Apple has EOL'd much HW in the past and will continue to EOL HW in the future. This lack of legacy support is the reason Apple is not a large presence in enterprise. Because you're a smart guy you knew that walking in the door after you bought a computer on the cusp of Apple EOL their entire line at that time. Actions and decisions have consequences Apple made theirs and will have to entertain the complainers. You are about to embark on an expensive journey that could get very expensive if a judge considers this frivolous and orders you to pay Apples legal fees. This is the possible consequence of your actions.

So you don't want me to compare it to it's competitors in terms of OS support. Neither do you want me to compare it to the rest of the Apple product line. I guess it's a special and unique box then.

I'm not even sure what argument you're trying to make here.

BTW, I'm not the one suing Apple. I certainly support legal action and I'd join any class action suit but I don't have the time to spare.

The only thing I can do is to build a Hackintosh or switch to a Windows box when the time comes.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008

We both know it would.

----------

Theres a big and significant difference here.

It is in Microsofts interest for you to be able to run Windows X in 7 years time and support as much hardware as possible Yes it is is otherwise Microsoft don't get as much of your money. Who do you think pays Microsoft more money. An individual buying a new license or Dell paying on there OEM deal to ship Microsoft Windows X.

What is a better deal for Apple. $20 for a new OS upgrade, or how many thousands of dollars for a new Mac Pro?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Theres a big and significant difference here.

It is in Microsofts interest for you to be able to run Windows X in 7 years time and support as much hardware as possible Yes it is is otherwise Microsoft don't get as much of your money. Who do you think pays Microsoft more money. An individual buying a new license or Dell paying on there OEM deal to ship Microsoft Windows X.

What is a better deal for Apple. $20 for a new OS upgrade, or how many thousands of dollars for a new Mac Pro?

Apple is not interested in you buying a new Mac Pro if they were interested in that they would have updated them and generated excitement they didn't do that. Apple is interested in EOL the Mac Pro as a whole.

Apple has EOL'd everything with your generation of processor's again if speed were paramount which is one of the reasons for a MP you wouldn't be holding on to it.

You knew Apples business model when you bought your computer and you it at the cusp of Apple EOL they're entire line. Then 6ish years later it surprises when they EOL your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.