News on homepage

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by crazypilot48, Jan 26, 2009.

1. crazypilot48 macrumors newbie

Im setting up a webpage for my old high school's rifle team and the coaches want to be able to post news/updates on the homepage. Like if they cancel practice they want to post a quick little message on the homepage. Any suggestions?

2. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

You could use PHP and a simple txt file.

Make a form on a password-protected page with the wanted fields.

On the process page, open the text file, append a new line that adds the wanted HTML (example: <p>), the content of the field (The news entered) and the ending HTML (example: </p>).

The txt file should look like this:

<p>NEWS1</p>
    <p>NEWS2</p>
    <p>NEWS3</p>

On the homepage, use prinf(); to print the txt file where you want in your HTML.

You could use more complicated stuff like eliminating the 1 line if the total number of line > 5, etc...

3. crazypilot48 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You can of course use HTML in iWeb, but not PHP. iWeb is going to severally limit you on this, just so you know. It's not really the right tool for the job.

5. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I like and have used cutenews before. But it will require some PHP

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I used CuteNews, and I liked it, but I'm trying a new approach now.

Set up a blog for your announcements. Whenever you need to make an announcement, post a new blog entry.

Then use one of the many scripts available to populate your website with an RSS or Atom feed from the blog. If you like, you can use FeedBurner to do most of the heavy lifting for you.

I'm doing mine in PHP, but there are versions that use JavaScript so that should work on iWeb.