News on JB apps on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by naujoks, Sep 8, 2010.

1. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

My battery life on my jailbroken iPhone 4 is crap.
    I know there's ongoing discussion about the reasons.
    Saurik tells us that the JB itself isn't the culprit so it must be some JB apps.

I have on my phone BiteSMS and MiWi, plus SSH, Rock and some other little things Cydia installs when you install the above.

What could be the culprit? When I'm browsing the web, I lose about 1% ever 3 minutes. Overnight I go down from 100% to 92%, without use, so not good...

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That doesnt sound that bad.
    I have about the same stuff installed besides mywi, battery lasts a full day easy unless I play games on it for a while.

3. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

some are saying its the mobile subtrate that needs to be downgraded..

4. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

Yeah that doesn't sound good at all. You could delete your JB apps one at a time to see which one is the culprit or you can restore altogether. But only have BiteSMS and mywi especially if you're not using mywi and your battery is draining that bad is not good. I'm really surprised at the battery life on my iPhone 4. I can play a game like Mirror's Edge or Spiderman for about an hour and 15 mins and my battery goes down 20%. Those are intense games and I can get over 5 and a half hours game time played on my phone. That's ridiculous in my opinion.

5. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

Saurik says no....

My friend's phone is jailbroken too, but he's got none of the apps and his battery life is far better...

6. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Saurik says no.. Correct.

But there is a thread on here i dont know how many pages of people downgrading and seeing improvements....

Take it for what its worth.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

easy.. try one jb app each day and see which one is causing you the problem...

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

What's running in the background? Any apps getting push notifications? News apps typically ask you if you want to enable news alerts.

9. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

8% in 8 hours? That's really not that bad, mine is usually at 92% in the morning unless I keep it plugged in overnight. Just double check push notifications, push email, bluetooth, brightness, etc.

10. tesilential macrumors regular

Try rebooting your phone before bed and seeing if that helps.

I reboot or at least respring several times each day to keep the phone running quick.

Everytime my battery has sucked its been due to push notifications or an app running in the background.

11. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

Radical surgery, guys: Full restore (4.0.1). Adding Cydia apps one by one. Let's see if that makes a difference.

12. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

Update: Did restore, jailbroke and installed only MyWi and SBSettings.
    Fully charged, unlplugged it for the night, 7 hours of sleep, battery down to 91%.
    Same as before, and much worse than when I first had the phone.
    I've turned off most Push notifications as well.

13. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

I tried mywi for a bit and noticed a bit of battery drain before I uninstalled it. Get rid of it for a day or so and see if it's any better.

14. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Turn off the numeric battery indicator, then buy extra USB chargers for each room in the house, and a cig charger for the car. Cost maybe $20.

Then just enjoy your iPhone.

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

None of that should affect your battery. However, push will, so turn that off. Make sure you have nothing running in the background.

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

91% after 7 hours is fine...
    Based on apple specs:
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours (which means around 12.5 days-I guess powered off completely)
    Then that equals around 2.33% loss with phone turn off after 7hrs of standby...
    Since you have it on but in sleep and have push, then I don't see nothing wrong w/ 9% use, every time you receive an email at a different time on that night will consume more of the battery, same w/ any push notification or location service app that you left running, same w/ apps in the frozen state left on the multitask bar which my guess will trickle just a tiny bit of battery, same w/ keeping the phone, 3G/WIFI connection while sleeping... In other words you are FINE!

17. MacUser77 macrumors newbie

Have you tried charging the battery to 100% and then letting it go until dies... It sounds simple but I realize I never let the battery do that and I did it and it seemed to help mine quite a bit. It's not as good as it was without the jailbreak but its much closer than it was.

18. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

UPDATE: I downgraded to mobile substrate 3209, as suggested by many people with a similar problem.
    Since then the battery life is MUCH improved.
    Whatever Saurik says that in theory MS shouldn't have any influence on battery life, in reality it DOES seem to be the case.

19. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

naujoks, do you have a tutorial on how to downgrade the mobile substrate? I'm not in a position to Google it at the moment.

20. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Come on....do a little legwork yourself....look for this thread on the front page of threads in this sub-forum:

Solved the battery draining issue

S-

21. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Begrudgingly I say thanks, sidewinder. Did I mention I wasn't in a position to search for things at that moment? Sheesh.

22. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

If you are not in a position to search, how can you be in a position to post? If you are not in a position to search, how can you be in a position to make use of the information in that thread?

S-

23. w.watts macrumors newbie

noob here... but for what its worth I had similar battery issues and downgraded mobile substrate.

Solved the problem.

24. CBillups1 macrumors 6502a

CBillups1

i was on my iphone 4 earlier and my battery was draining like crazy. 1% about every 3-4 minutes.

25. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

Yup. Sounds very familiar. Do as we all did.