News Reader OS X Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rahsten, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a free and easy to use News Reader for OS X Leopard? I'm using the Giganews server, so one that works nicely with that would be great. I tried one called Unison but I can't get it to work for me and I'm not sure of any other ones out there.

Thanks.:apple:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Even if you are not willing to pay for the excellent full version NetNewsWire Lite (scroll down) is pretty good.

3. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

I'm not aware of any free Usenet news readers. The company that makes DropNZB has a newsreader also. Try searching for NZBDrop on Google. The name alludes me atm.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I use Unison 1.8 on Leopard 10.5.1 with Giganews servers and it works perfectly. Well worth the price. I've tried all the free ones available and always end up with Unison.

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've been using MT-Newswatcher for years. It's a free program and works well, but in Leopard it does hang for a several seconds when uploading messages on some news servers. I'm looking at Unison, but so far I think Newswatcher is better, or will be once they address this new bug.

http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I use Netnewswire, but Newsfire looks beautiful :)

7. REBELinBLUE macrumors regular

That is an RSS reader not a news readers ;) A news reader is a client for NNTP servers.

The only one I know of for Mac OS X is Unison.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

Except for MT-Newswatcher, which is free, has been for 9 years. It's not as pretty, but a lot more powerful. The Outlook Express-style rule creation and kill file in particular in Unison isn't as flexible or powerful as Newswatcher.

9. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

I tried NetNewsWire but it's not what I'm looking for. I ended up trying something called HogWasher(free 60day trial) it does what I want it to, but for some reason i can't restrict the number of headers it downloads so my computer gets uber sluggish. On that not I want to try something else.

I'll try the NewsWatcher app.

Also I tried Unison but it won't connect and says some jazz about SSL. But in Giganews i have the silver pack with no SSL, so in Unison Prefs I turned off some SSL option and it still doesn't work, stating the same issue with SSL, so I deleted Unison from my HD...

10. elvtnedge macrumors regular

I have problems with SSL and unision. I can't get it to work. Im with usenetserver. Keeps giving me a server error

Anyone have any ideas?

Also hogwasher does nothing but crash on me which is why it didnt stay on my system very long..

11. stukdog macrumors 6502

iGrabNews is distributed free, though the developer does ask for a $10 donation if you like it. (I haven't used it a lot, but when I reviewed it on FreeMacWare, it seemed to work well.)

12. jalaludink macrumors newbie

igrabnews

igrabnews is an excellent, easy to use newsreader,
    however it doesn't work in leopard...(sigh)

guess i'll try unison

13. chkdg8 macrumors 6502

So it's safe to say that igrabnews is pretty much obsolete at this point, right?

14. mrl72 macrumors regular