News reader without ads?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by dribando, Oct 4, 2016.

1. dribando macrumors newbie

Is there a great iOS news reader that doesn't have ads? I'm happy to pay for this feature. I loved Flipboard but over the years the ads got way too intrusive. Been using Apple News lately, but ads there are super annoying as well. I also noticed that Apple News sucks down the battery faster than Flipboard.

2. deep1 macrumors regular

Feedly?

3. x34 macrumors 6502

Newsify

4. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

Reeder as well. They bring up the articles in safari view controller, which supports ad blockers.

5. mikosk macrumors regular

Byline is another with a caveat. The app is free with an upgrade option. There are no banner ads but there is an odd bug where the banner ads should be is replaced with a reminder to upgrade. So it takes up screen real estate but doesn't show any ads.

It's a very clean and simple RSS reader, been using their apps for years. Has Feedly integration so you can import your feeds.

6. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I've got 3 on my iPhone right now. Unread, Reeder, and Fiery Feeds.

7. pacorob, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

I really like Heartfeed (in-app 2.99 dollar for unlimited feeds, no ads in both versions) which looks like the former Pulse News app see also this topic) and aside from that Feedly (free, no ads) and Newsify (ads, but when you pay 2.99 dollar once in-app no ads anymore + has offline feature), are also great options.

8. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

It's been a year since I used an iPhone and I completely forgot about my all time favorite RSS reader app, called RSSBook. I love this one.

9. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

For those that want iCloud sync apart from relying on Feedly, I found a great one called https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/news-explorer/id1032668306?mt=8 News Explorer.

Seems very very nice so far and it's a universal app and has an Apple Watch app. It relies on iCloud sync and not Feedly or anything. I was thinking of moving from Feedly due to the limitations on the free side, and honestly I'm not sure how long Feedly will be around providing free services.

10. MadMarketer macrumors newbie

MadMarketer

I really like Squid - i can pick areas I'm interested in and got selected news.

11. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Looks nice but it seems odd that it's not available in some countries such as the Netherlands, US but is avaiable in the UK, Poland and Germany. Although when I visit the website it is shown as if it would be in the Dutch (NL) App Store but it isn't.

12. MadMarketer macrumors newbie

MadMarketer

wow, didn't know that!