News reading apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by i0Nic, Aug 28, 2011.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

What news reading apps are you all using?

Me.. I categorise my apps depending on my usage case: light, medium or heavy.

Light – Flipboard
    My go to app for lean back reading. When I just want to enjoy a variety of content when on the train or on the couch, this is the app I use. I also use it as a form of curation, all the interesting reads that I find I tweet them out or post to my blog on Tumblr.

Medium – Pulse
    When I have a spare 10 mins and just want to catch up on my must read blogs and news sources, I use Pulse. I have my top sources plugged into Pulse sorted by categories of News, Business, Digital Media, Blogs and Design. When I just want the best in each category, I go to Pulse.

Heavy – Reeder / Google Reader
    My main RSS app, and the workhorse of the three apps. I use Reeder when I'm researching stories to blog about or want to get information for something to do with my job. I also use it when I have more time and want to go back over the last week or so worth of stories in case I've missed anything particularly interesting. I have given up on reading every story though, as I've introduced more reading apps and sources it has limited my Google Reader time. So I just use it to mop up any stories I may have missed, and then click the 'Mark as Read' button to start fresh once again.

What works for you?

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Pulse is the only news reader app that I have and its really the only one I need.

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

For my light to medium needs for actual news I have been going to The Daily or to just Google News in mobileSafari, for ALL my RSS reading I use Byline on both my iPhone and iPad, which syncs with Google Reader. If you want a functional RSS reader that is good for managing a large number of feeds then in my opinion you can't beat Byline, it isn't as pretty as Reeder is but I really don't need or want my RSS reader to be pretty.

The likes of Pulse and Flipboard are fun to play with and to kill a few mins browsing but I found they didn't really fill any particular need for me.

4. dbarron macrumors newbie

I use Feeddler for my RSS feeds. I'm don't have time to keep up with those, so I seldom get to jump over to Flipboard for more casual reading.