News Report Critique

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kwong2006, Jul 28, 2008.

1. kwong2006 macrumors regular

Back in April, I did this report on a community service event by students at my university at this decrepit park in Phoenix, AZ. I was wondering if anyone can take a look at it, and give me some feedback and suggestions for improvement.

The video is here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Vprn51QW0&fmt=18

Thanks!

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

That was quite good, akin to something I would see on the evening news. :)

The opening montage is cut a little too quickly I think, not enough time on each shot to let the viewer figure out what he's looking at.

There were some exposure issues, but it is to be expected around that time of day. If you wanted to improve it, you could use a reflector (even a white piece of paper) to bounce the sun back up into the shadowed parts of peoples' faces. That will give more even lighting on the face so you can iris down and lessen the overexposure. I'm a film person though, so I don't know how much time you would have to set that up if you're trying to report a story. :)

You have nice, clean audio, which is really a great thing. I don't think it would hurt to EQ the treble down a little, maybe add some bass, but it's really hard to tell with the YouTube compression.

Yes, quite good! Each time you post a video I see improvement from the time before!

3. Lebowski macrumors 6502

i work for kpnx in phoenix... i know that park well.

very good overall.

few small things.

vary your shots. most are medium. go super tight, super wide, mid... change them up.

use the tripod ALL THE TIME. exception is if you are chasing action.

for your tracking, watch the room acoustics. lots of reverb. if you dont have a booth, go into a small closet or something that has very little hard surfaces (lots of fabric, clothes, carpet.. whatever are good for the echo).

4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Let me start by saying that your videos have improved drastically since you started posting them here. I don't know if it's the advice you have gotten, or just more experience, but they are getting much better. Now let's see if I can give you some pointers.

Your voice over audio still needs work. It's coming in clear, but it could be a lot louder. In fact, I would prefer it to be louder than the people that you interview with the on camera mic.

What I am going to say next is something I think is vital. I only half watched the video the first time to see if I could get the jist of what it was about without having to study it. Unfortunately, I couldn't. When you were talking about all of the items found, it gave me the impression that you were reporting on some kind of excavation or something. After watching it a second time, I gathered it was a service project. While the bit about the strange objects found might be fun, it isn't really relevant to the story.

Before you start picking your shots to include in the piece, you should sit down and think about what overall message you want to convey. When you have that in mind, don't include anything that distracts from that.

Hope that helps and I look forward to your future pieces. :)

P-Worm

5. macman7002 macrumors regular

I thought that looked really good. Though I would vary the shots, from C.Us to Wide. But it looked really great, like something on T.V.

6. kwong2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for a lot of these feedbacks. If you guys can rate the video on a scale of 1 to 10, it will be great.

Thanks a million!

7. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Nice job...

-Cut back on the headroom when you are doing the interviews, the face is getting cropped by the lower third

-The Mike Nunez lower third was a tad short

-Audio wise try to keep the volume level uniform through all the various shots. You could drop the volume or try and cut some bass out of the machinery. Just nit picking

-Overall nice job. Good steady camera work and the narration sounded good, maybe even speed that up a bit. Rock on!