News Scroller CSS.....

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by pelsar, Nov 28, 2008.

1. pelsar macrumors regular

anybody know of a newscroller out there that is pure: html/javascript and most important of all: the text has to be in CSS format...

(after all, us modern designer/developers only work in CSS today...).

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

I think you would have to look into using AJAX, AFAIK the <marquee> isn't a real tag.

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Here is a great solution, it turns an unordered list into a scrolling news ticker. You can optionally include links and control the speed. It's a plugin for the Javascript DOM based Jquery framework, it works like a charm across all major browsers, please see the demo here:

http://www.gcmingati.net/wordpress/wp-content/lab/jquery/newsticker/jq-liscroll/scrollanimate.html

View the demo page source to see the CSS styles to use (the plugin author failed to mention that or include the CSS on the page).

Download the JQuery framework from here and the plugin from the link above, instructions included in the demo. If you're not familiar with JQuery, this is a great introduction to it. You can do many cool things with it and people write plugins to extend the framework, all open source.

-jim

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

@SrWebDeveloper
    That demo link didn't show a very good scroller. It seemed broken, entries were stacked at the beginning. I also hate how those types of scrollers have a blank part when they reach the end. I do like the unobtrusive aspect so you can still get the news items without javascript being enabled. My links below aren't perfect either. I'd have to find time to program one to have something I personally like, but we'll see how the OP likes these.

@OP
    Do you want a news scroller that goes horizontal or vertical?

Vertical:
    http://www.news-scroller.com/
    Horizontal:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/En/DHTML_Demonstrations_Using_DOM/Style:Stock_Ticker

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I tested and no problems when one <li> is used (not multiple, like the demo where the first and last display as two lines) which is why I wrote what I wrote. I use JQuery alot and this plugin was small and simple enough to test. BTW the ticker pauses on a mouse over - a nice feature in this one. The space on the end is just a matter of taste, usually the space is there so users reading a long ticker knows the start from the end so I kinda like it.

But of course I'm not saying any of these are perfect either!

Thanks for posting alternatives, the OP has plenty of choices now and can make an educated decision.

-jim