News Stand App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by MXSkier62, Jun 6, 2011.

1. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

So this seems interesting, and a very cool way to make my screen a bit less cluttered.

As it is, I have NYTimes, ESPN the Magazine, and Popular Science subscribed on my iPad. I'm guessing the way that it will work is to have the "magazine" on the news stand app, and that will remove my 2 or 3 app icons from above? Or I won't even need their native app, and will only need the news stand app to download, sync, or whatever, with the above-mentioned magazines?

Seems ok.

2. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

It downloads new issues in the background. Pure epicness.

3. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Thanks, I will check it out, but I'm quite pleased with Early Edition and Flipboard.

4. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Not sure it will work with the Times that way.

Betting you will still have to use the Times app, which I think sucks the wazooo.....

just does not feel like I am reading the NY Times. It has endless repeating stories dating back a week or so. I want the days paper, not yesterday and the day before.

Give us the Replica edition I say , but you can't have it cause we can't have Flash on our devices!

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

6. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Current (yearly) subscriptions of "Wired", "Vogue" etc. can be "transferred" to the Newsstand app without problems and without having to re-new an already paid subscription before time, I guess ...? Will it detect via Apple ID that I have an ongoing subscription so that I can go on in the Newsstand app where I left off in the old magazine apps? (and even download all my old issues again there so that I can delete the old magazine specific apps completely?)

All this assuming of course, that my magazines participate in the Newsstand thing ...

7. angle macrumors regular

I haven't been able to transfer any subscriptions into newsstand. Anyone have luck with this yet?

8. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I'm confused... Isn't Newsstand part of iOS 5, i.e., not available until this Fall? Or do you guys have the beta as devs or something?

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I an a developer, yes.

10. EarlofCroydon macrumors member

EarlofCroydon

I have Newspapers (Le Monde/El País) on my iPad including newspaper related ones such as Flipboard and the Guardian Daily Photos app. These aren't being subscribed to because both Le Monde and El País offer free digital copies. Could I still keep them in the news-stand? Could I drag stuff in there in e same way as a folder?