Newsfire now free

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by psychofreak, Mar 1, 2008.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

So now I use 2 of Watanabe's apps. I don't know whether I'll go back to NNW though, they both have advantages...

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Newsfire is nice, I like the UI and ease of use.

3. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Unfortunately, it is lacking a few key features, such as an indication that it is checking when I ask it to manually refresh all subscriptions. Also, its stupid that I can't select multiple feeds at once to drag into a folder.

Personally, I would have preferred Acquisition to go free. That is not to say I'm ungrateful for this.

The old-size icon looks awful next to the brushed up NNW one:

[​IMG]

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I like Newsfire and bought it last year...it's a good app but 1.5 didn't really add anything and it's lame how you can't delete Watanabe's own feed in this version. I'm checking out the others...are Newsfire, Vienna, and NetNewswire the only game in town?

5. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Well, Mail and Safari can do RSS, but not well for hardcore users. NNW is a great option.

Fortunately I had Watanabe's feed anyway (in my Apps folder)

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I don't like Safari's implementation, and I'm not crazy about Sage or Google reader either. I much prefer a standalone RSS reader.

I'm also not thrilled with the affiliate link thing in Inquisitor..sure, he's entitled to make money for the free app, but being so secretive about it? I tried NNW, it's ok...but it's resource-hungry compared to Newsfire. Vienna is sort of blah.

7. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

I don't think it was that hard to figure that sometimes the Inquisitor results weren't the exact same ones as the Google ones. I felt the same way about Vienna, but never found NNW to be so bad with resources...

8. reubs macrumors 68000

I just switched from Newsfire to NetNewsWire, and I think I might head back to Newsfire. NNW seems to be pretty heavy for Macbook usage. If I had a larger screen it would awesome to have. The one advantage to the NNW is that when a Growl notification comes up I can click that and open up NNW whereas Newsfire did not respond.

Both are really nice, and you can't beat the price on them.

9. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

I am on the prowl for a dedicated RSS app (lol) there doesn't seem to be much (or any) hype for this app, i actually digged to find this one: http://www.thinkmac.co.uk/newslife/

and it looks absolutely amazing seems like a newsfire competitor

I agree about the netnewswire hogging up system resources.

and vienna...bleh