Newsfire Rss Feeds (Location?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MBX, Oct 27, 2007.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Since i just upgraded to leopard i have to reinstall the apps and one of them is newsfire (rss reader).

I forgot to export the list of all my rss feeds as a file but i have an exact clone of my tiger user disk that i backed up with superduper. because somewhere newsfire accesses all the bookmarked list of rss.

Tried to find it in user library (application support and so on) and was hoping there was a file in the newsfire folder, but none unfortunately.

Is anyone familiar with where that file is located at and what the file-type ending is?

Thanks,
    Help really apperciated

2. shambolic macrumors regular

I'm fairly sure it's part of the plist: ~/Library/Preferences/org.xlife.NewsFire.plist

Open that up with Property List Editor (if you have the dev tools installed) and you'll find the feed URLs are there. Hopefully you have a copy of this file somewhere.

Found this out today when deleting various NewsFire supporting files to try to solve my own Leopard-related glitches. (NF works fine for me on my old Powerbook on which I did a clean install, but won't open articles inline on my Archive-and-Installed MBP)

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

4. shambolic macrumors regular

No problem. I've been very up-close-and-personal with debugging NewsFire today. And I finally fixed my own issue (articles not opening in the inline reader) too, so that makes for at least two much happier Leopard users :)

5. Minneyar macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, what did you have to do to fix that issue? I believe I'm having the same problem, and I haven't managed to figure it out yet...

6. shambolic macrumors regular

Thanks Christian for messaging me about this one.. my solution was as follows. (copied from an email sent last night)

--
    Essentially the problem was with one of the preference plist files in /
    Users/yourname/Library/Preferences, but not Newsfire's own plist.
    Since NF embeds Webkit and some other technologies it uses the prefs
    from those apps/frameworks too.

So if you:
    1. Rename Library/Preferences to something else
    2. Start Newsfire

You'll see that inline viewing once again works, and looking in the
    newly recreated prefs folder there will be about half a dozen prefs
    files. At this point you'll want to copy back the
    org.xlife.Newsfire.plist so you don't lose your registration and
    feeds, and any other plists from your original Preferences folder
    except for the ones that were created when NF started up (ie don't
    replace anything other than org.xlife.Newsfire)

And then you should be good. I know this would be simpler if I could
    pinpoint the precise prefs file that caused the breakage, but I was so
    happy when it finally worked that I didn't take that extra step...
    --

7. ChristianM macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. It didn't work for me last night. Maybe I'll try again today or tomorrow. :|

8. shambolic macrumors regular

Sorry to read that the suggested fix didn't work. I was originally tipped off that it was something in the Preferences directory by:

1) finding that a clean (erase) install rather than an archive and install solved the problem
    2) finding that creating a new user account on the archive and install machine also solved the problem
    3) going back to my original account on the archive and install machine, renaming ~/Library and finding it worked
    4) working my way through different subdirectories of ~/Library (Application Support, Caches, etc) until I found the one that made a difference between the app being broken or working. Which, as I wrote, for me turned out to be the ~/Library/Preferences folder, but *not* NewsFire's own plist file.

Yet, now that I try the same trick again (but on an installation that's already working), a few things aren't working quite the same way:

Renaming the ~/Library/Preferences folder doesn't seem to work anymore... I think you can only get away with doing this once, as Leopard applies an access control list (ACL) to newly created instances of this folder.
    So instead I created a ~/Library/Preferences2, copied over the entire contents of ~/Library/Preferences, restarted NewsFire, and, contrary to what I experienced earlier, it only created a single plist file, not a whole bunch of them.

So all I can really suggest is that if you're confident with renaming fairly important directories under ~/Library (and are able to do it - I believe as long as it's a Tiger-upgraded system, the ACLs don't get applied to these folders so you can still manipulate them), you may be able to use a similar method to narrow down what's causing the problem.

Otherwise maybe the application developer has experienced this issue and knows more reliably how to solve it...

9. Minneyar macrumors newbie

Moving Library/Preferences out of the way and letting NewsFire recreate the files in question worked for me. Based on the files created, I think that com.apple.QuickLookDaemon.plist is the offending one. Anybody else who is having this problem might try to delete just that file, start up NewsFire, and see what happens.

10. ChristianM macrumors newbie

Well, today I deleted all files/folders in my ~/Library/Caches folder and moved all files out of my ~/Library/Preferences folder. Restarted Newsfire and it started working. I systematically kept replacing the files back into ~/Library/Preferences and relaunching Newsfire, which continued to work. Beats me, I'm just glad that it is working again. Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.