Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Can anyone recommend a newsgroup reader similar to or as good as NewsBin Pro for Windows?

ooninay

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Toronto
Unison is as good as Newsbin (better in my opinion), but not really similar. I used Newsbin when I was in Windows and then found Unison when I switched to a Mac and was looking for something as good as Newsbin in OS X (like you maybe?) I liked it so much that the one time I considered switching back to Windows (about 5 years ago), I couldn't stand Newsbin any more! Of course it's all very subjective, but I think you can download it for a free trial and see if you like it. It's particularly good for binaries.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Unison is as good as Newsbin (better in my opinion), but not really similar. I used Newsbin when I was in Windows and then found Unison when I switched to a Mac and was looking for something as good as Newsbin in OS X (like you maybe?) I liked it so much that the one time I considered switching back to Windows (about 5 years ago), I couldn't stand Newsbin any more! Of course it's all very subjective, but I think you can download it for a free trial and see if you like it. It's particularly good for binaries.

Will check it out - thanks!

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006

I've been using Unison and while the interface is nice the startup time is terrible. I'm also missing the autoupdate like Newsbin Pro where you can hit an "update" button and it will retrieve new headers for subscribed groups.

Or can you have it do this automatically and I'm just missing it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.