Newsgroups on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tee.Nutter, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Tee.Nutter macrumors regular

I have been using www.maximumusenet.com for quite a few years now with NewsRover (bundled newsreader) for downloading of various files ;)

I know I can use maximumusenet on my iMac, but unfortunately NewsRover is not compatible on Macs.

So, can anyone recommend any newsgroup apps, preferably with search facilities that does not require having to download headers first.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are several. Of these, the most popular is probably Unison. A very different take on newsreaders is veteran Mac newreader MT-NewsWatcher, a version of the public domain NewsWatcher. I like it a lot.

3. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

I have downloaded Unison and it is pretty good, but you have to know which group to look in to find what your searching for, which is a bit of a pain

Downloaded MT-NewsWatcher too, but didn't have a clue what to do with it ... lol

The NewsRover that I use you just type in what you want to search and it goes and finds it for you, without having to get any headers n stuff first.

Does anyone know of or use any newsgoups on a Mac that does not require you to find what group you need to be searching in or the need to download any headers first

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

USNET newsgroups tend to be fairly well focused. The groups search panel in Unison seems to narrow the selection down fairly well.

5. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info

Think what i'm gonna do it search for nzb files on newsbin.info and then open then open in with Unison or something similar