Newspaper circulation may be worse than it looks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by r.j.s, Nov 23, 2009.

1. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20091123/ap_on_hi_te/us_newspaper_circulation

How long before the physical newspaper is officially dead?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Unfortunately, they are dead...only no one knows it yet. I hope that we can still have something, in whatever media, thet serves as independent, unbiased, and dogged in its pursuit of the truth. Viva a strong Fourth Estate!

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, they're dead and don't know it. It's like looking at someone with lung cancer or something. You know they have a few years to live, if that.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I don't understand the logic behind counting a bundled subscription (paper and electronic) as two copies.

Newspapers will continue in the future, but in electronic form if they are to survive.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My pops works in the newspaper industry, well he did until a few years back and now teaches all kinds of printing. But yea. We've had a few small presses shut down around here. Our town paper had to close its doors and relocate to a large one nearer the city where they share the premises with regional papers.

I don't think it will die though. Every house I visit, young and old, I see newspapers on tables and bundled TV listings in the living rooms. I own 2 macs and countless gadgets that can access the internet but I still prefer using a TV guide to look ahead at whats on TV and still prefer the editorials and reports in the papers.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Only people I know who still read paper newspapers are old, for one they are a pain in the ass to fold/read because of their size/awkward nature.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Curious. What do you consider old?

Here in Japan, print media is still popular -- and expensive at times.

The Japanese have an interesting way of folding their newspapers so they are easy to read on the train.

8. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

i don't subscribe anymore. we just got a "free one" this morning. we haven't had a subscription in almost a year. they were calling asking/begging us to re-subscribe. i hung up on them. then they sent us a few more "free ones", we got a weeks worth... then they sent us a bill... RAUS!

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't subscribe to any newspaper at home. I'm single and live alone, and it just doesn't make sense for me to pay to generate waste paper. However, when I visit the rest of my family (younger siblings and parents), one of the first things I do is flip through the newspaper if they've got one sitting out on the kitchen table. It's something you can do while eating or peeling vegetables or, yes, even going to the bathroom, all things which are less convenient with a digital edition.

It's a format I still appreciate, but it's just not practical for my particular circumstances.