Newspaper-like app

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by halogan, Aug 31, 2010.

1. halogan macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    my dad has an iPad 3G and likes to read news from just a few sites (say 3-5) that have RSS feeds. He doesn't like visiting the website, especially on EDGE, so I was thinking of installing him a simplified RSS reader that resembles a newspaper (no Google Reader support needed etc.) with a fast and simple interface.

Times for iPad came to my mind. Unfortunately it has poor reviews (probably mostly by geeks who need galore of functions), but I think it might be just the app for him. Do you have any other recommendations before I spend some money on crap?

Thanks!

2. markab macrumors regular

try Early Edition

3. iFerd macrumors 6502a

For simplicity and intuitive use, I've been quite taken with River of News. If you are completely opposed to Google Reader though, this one uses it for its source. If you or he are willing to set it up, though, it can be forgotten after that, except if he wants to add or subtract RSS feeds. That does require using Google Reader again.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

2nd for Early Edition. Great design but kind of a lousy reader in terms of organization. However, pretty sells and this is pretty.

5. mamema macrumors regular

MyNewspaper is another one. For only a limited amount of news, i would use MyNewspaper because it only fetch 250 articles at once.

I've also use Early Edition (for more news sources the better solution)

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Given the prevalence of rigged reviews in the iTunes App Store, I ignore reviews there entirely.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/204317/ftc_closes_case_over_fake_itunes_reviews.html?tk=hp_new

You are likely better served asking here (like you are) or using a dedicated review site or something like AppAdvice.

7. caubeck macrumors 6502

I'd get River of News. It's so simple it makes me feel lazy.

8. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Newsrack is another RSS reader with a newspaper UI. I have it and like it (no problems and I have 500+ feeds) but the ratings aren't great.

9. gman901 macrumors 6502a

Press Reader - I use it daily. You get a perfect digital version of any newspaper in the US or the world for only .99 per issue or subscribe monthly at a very reasonable rate. I am testing it this month and I really like it. To me, this the future of the newspapers. You get to save trees and enjoy the digital newspaper format!

10. DKatri macrumors 6502

Maybe Times for iPad? I've heard a lot of god things about it but I've already got too many RSS readers.

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I actually like Times, I think the bad reviews are for lack of stuff like Google Reader so it should still work for what you want.

12. haganaga macrumors member

My iPad is wifi so I use Fluent News pretty regularly. I open it up when I get up in the morning and it updates. Love that it keeps the stories held in-app so I don't need a wifi/3g connection to access. Keeps everything from the last update.