Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenmarered

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
I was hoping the iPad (really?) would be the final piece in the consolidated digitization of the media I consume. In other words books, magazines, comics and newspapers.

That's what I really, really wanted. Okay, so iPad delivers the books (albeit US only).

But it seems that magazines and comics weren't mentioned in the demo and am I right to conclude that the NY Times demo was a self-contained app?

wtf?

So every magazine and newspaper (publisher?) will have proprietary apps for each publication? Features (such as archiving etc) will differ from publication to publication?

iTunes is not perfect but it is a great consolidated store/repository for audio/visual media.

I think Apple has really missed a huge opportunity if they're not going to offer a consolidated software platform for digitized print media (books, mags, comics, newspapers, manuals, whatever)

Look at comics on the iPhone. Multiple apps carrying different comics due to different licensing agreements. Add newspapers and magazines and other print media into the mix and you have a mess.

I only hope that Apple get their fingers out and produce an iTunes-like platform for print media.

If only the kindle wasn't so damn ugly. <sigh>

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I agree that there should be a consolidated store/repository for "print" media.

But the opportunity hasn't been missed. I'll bet you it's been on the roadmap for the iPad from day one. It will get done -- unless the iPad is a failure.

(I think the iPad will be a success.)

JonboyDC

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
I would gladly pay for subscription for magazines and comics that I already subscribe to, provided they were delivered automatically (or I got a notification that a new issue was ready to be downloaded). I don't care if it's part of the book store or as part of a separate app. I'd love to get rid of all the paper I get in the mail in the form of magazines.

And I agree, it shouldn't have to be one app per publication -- mostly because I want it to be available for smaller magazines that may not have the resources to create their own app.

But I also agree that his is certainly on the drawing board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.