Newsreaders as opposed to Instapaper or Read It Later

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ginopiazza49, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ginopiazza49 macrumors member

Please help me understand the difference between newsreaders (such as NewsRack, Pulse, and Times) as opposed to apps like InstaPaper or Read It Later.

• Which is more beneficial (a newsreader or, say, InstaPaper)?

• If you have a newsreader, do you necessarily need an app like InstaPaper or can you get away with having either one or the other?

• Would it be best to have one of the newsreaders mentioned above "and" an app like InstaPaper?

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I guess you could get by using either one for content but Instapaper or Read It Later Apps are meant to compliment the RSS or News reader apps.

You can save articles which you don't have time to read for later. Both offer free or lite versions so I would give them a try and see how they work.

I've settled with Reeder and Read it Later and NewsRack and Instapaper to use together.

River Of News however is getting more and more of my reading time. It's another great App.

I see them as a compliment to the News Reader Apps.

3. jparris1 macrumors regular

I use Reeder and Instapaper together, and also do the same thing with Twitter (Twitbird Pro and Instapaper). I can skim headlines in Reeder or move quickly through tweets in Twitbird Pro, sending links I am interested in to Instapaper. Then I can read them much more quickly than I could with the built in browsers of those apps. And If I am not going to have interent access, I can run Instapaper once while I do have Wi-fi, and have them all downloaded for offline reading.