Newsstand issues on iPad (*3*)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by akdj, Mar 25, 2012.

1. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Is anyone else noticing severe delays with Newsstand mags? In the sense each page takes a second or two to 'develop'? In other words the pages turn as normal, however the initial blurry page takes a second or two to fully come to 'life' and show it's true beauty :)

It's weird...it's almost like it develops in different quadrants of the screen. It's honestly my first and only issue with the new iPad. I've got a half dozen subscriptions on my iPad that I've moved now from my iPad 2 to the new one. This type of behavior is unique to the new iPad (I've still got an original iPad and the iPad 2)...and I assume it's because of the retina graphics...as well as the size of these publications.

I've also got a few mags in Zinio...and haven't noticed the same phenomenon. However, Zinio's mags are about 20% the size of the Newsstand examples.

Just curious if anyone else is seeing the same. It almost makes these unreadable. I'm going to send the query to the Newsstand developer as well (is it made by Apple?)...see of it's a software update in the works, or what...as I bought the iPad 2 on launch....and subscribed to several of these pubs at the same time...I'm nearing the end of the yearly subscription period. I'm a bit hesitant to renew until this is sorted out...and continue to use Zinio instead.

Again, my first challenge with the new iPad in 10 days...everything else seems to be working just fine, so I'm curious if this is a software issue with Newsstand

J

2. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

My newspapers and magazines turn pages just fine. I use The Daily, Sporting News, NY Times, Distro and others and they're fine.

Is it one magazine/paper or several?

3. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

Yes, two specifically. MacLife and Maximum PC are the two culprits in my collection...Wired, Pop Mec and Pop Sci are all working just as they did on my iPad 2. However, it's obvious those are kind of their own app within an app of that makes any kinda sense?

MacLife and Max PC for some reason download just fine...but when I flip page, the next is blurry (kinda like photos on the original iPad were...remember?), and about a second and a half later...it's perfectly focused. It's bizarre too...it focuses a portion of the screen at a time. Like a tic tac toe board..Each block at a time...I know this is a terrible explanation. Bit if you've got either of these check it out....or anyone else that subscribes to either, could you check?

J

----------

I think you're absolutely correct

I just checked Engadget's 'Distro', and it's just fine. It seems to be relocated to the above mentioned MacLife n Maximum PC (I'm a pure Mac man but I love to keep up to date in the PC world as well;))

Hmmm, maybe I will drop those two publishers an email in the morning. However, if anyone else's ML or MPC apps are doing the same (within Newstand) I'd be happy to know, as well...of they're working fine. I thought initially it was a code issue in the main app. Doesn't seem to be the case now that I've tried my others

Thanks for the response Anthony, much appreciated:)

J

4. akdj thread starter macrumors 65816

akdj

...sorry for yet a third follow up.

I just read this morning an article about this exact subject. Seems those that use Adobe Publisher and/or InDesign and export their projects (mags in this case) as .jpegs, this is to be expected. The same does NOT happen if the project is exported as a .pdf...however, the file size grows significantly by doing the latter. And by using the former (.jpeg) format, it is a non-issue with all former iPad models as well as the iPhones. Due to the increased resolution of the new iPad, it IS an issue...BUT for some, it's not. They've updated their app (within the Newsstand app), like Pop Sci, Pop Mech, Distro, et al.

I suppose some of these glitches are to be expected. As a four year iOS user, I'm heavily invested in the platform (over 300 apps, 5,000+ songs *iTunes 10 years*, and many many videos-movies and/or TV shows)...so with the new iPad I did elect to go with the 64gig version as to not have to decide what to and not to have on the system.

The updates for my 300+ apps continue to come fast and furious--so fast, I've not had the chance to try the non-retina versions pre-update:) That's cool, the industry, developers and it seems Apple (with it's latest, albeit a bit late update to Xcode) are behind the revision 100%. Hopefully these two folks I'm having issues with are on the ball as well.

J