Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
NC
Which do you like? I can't make up my mind... I love some of the great UI features in Newsstand, but Byline sounds like a really full featured and stable RSS reader. They are both the same price and each have some great features. I have a few questions for those of you that have either of these apps:

Newsstand:

-How does it handle offline reading? Does it cache images?
-Do you ever use the landscape mode?

Byline:

-How many menus do you have to go through to open the page in safari?
-Does it automatically discover feeds from a URL?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated, especially if you own either of these two apps. If you know of something better, then let me know about that too! :D

Also, does anyone know of an RSS reader that can open app store links directly? It gets really annoying to have to open the page in safari when I'm browsing the appshopper RSS feed...

Thanks!

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
NC
I don't know... Whats good about it other than it being free? Does it have any of the features I mentioned above?

Edit: After reading some of its reviews, the main thing that I can see wrong with it is that you can't add new feeds from the phone... Thats a pretty big turn-off for me. The lack of a landscape mode is another.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I don't know... Whats good about it other than it being free? Does it have any of the features I mentioned above?

Edit: After reading some of its reviews, the main thing that I can see wrong with it is that you can't add new feeds from the phone... Thats a pretty big turn-off for me. The lack of a landscape mode is another.

Ah okay. I just wanted to know. I think for me, NNW is adequate and I don't see a reason why I would want to read in landscape mode. To each his own I guess. By the way, NNW can open appstore links if you put an RSS feed of appshopper. Oh, and I didn't know either Byline or Newstand have the ability to add rss on their own, without syncing. I would love that feature but like I said, I'm pretty happy with NNW.

notintheleast

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
NC
Ah okay. I just wanted to know. I think for me, NNW is adequate and I don't see a reason why I would want to read in landscape mode. To each his own I guess. By the way, NNW can open appstore links if you put an RSS feed of appshopper. Oh, and I didn't know either Byline or Newstand have the ability to add rss on their own, without syncing. I would love that feature but like I said, I'm pretty happy with NNW.

Thanks for the app store tip about NNW! I've been looking for one that does this forever. I'm considering using it just for appshopper...

I read that Newsstand can add feeds from the phone and even discover any linked on a URL you type in, but I"m not sure about Byline. I would hate to have to sync every time I find a good feed...

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
NuageTV is my fav now.

Customise interface and RSS offline viewing and video podcasts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.