Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I haven't used newsstand very much (almost none) but I am trying to figure out what purpose it serves. So far, I haven't found one.

What does newsstand do now that differentiates how the apps worked before?

Also, it seems like newsstand should have a dedicated store. When I went to add the local station that I use for my local news, I was pleasantly surprised to see they had an app. So I installed it, only to find I couldn't place it in the newsstand folder. I was annoyed. There doesn't appear to be any separation for the newsstand apps and other apps. It kicks me to the same app store.

And as I previously asked, what exactly does newsstand do that makes it different? The only app in my newsstand (and I don't even use it) is NY Times. But wasn't there a NY Times app before? Didn't it work essentially the same as it does now?

punzai

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
It will download the latest issue in the background if plugged in and on wi-fi without you having to open the app. :)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
All of your magazine and newspaper subscriptions are automatically downloaded and placed in Newsstand if the publisher supports it. Newsstand itself is already a folder so that's why you can't manually place something with it in a folder.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
All of your magazine and newspaper subscriptions are automatically downloaded and placed in Newsstand if the publisher supports it. Newsstand itself is already a folder so that's why you can't manually place something with it in a folder.

There is a way to put it within a folder but then if you try and open it then it will crash. If you do a forum thread search then you will find out how to do it. Users are doing this just to hide the app away from sight.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
There is a way to put it within a folder but then if you try and open it then it will crash. If you do a forum thread search then you will find out how to do it. Users are doing this just to hide the app away from sight.

I'm aware of it. I tried it myself and it does indeed crash springboard and causes to restart.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I haven't used newsstand very much (almost none) but I am trying to figure out what purpose it serves. So far, I haven't found one.

What does newsstand do now that differentiates how the apps worked before?

Also, it seems like newsstand should have a dedicated store. When I went to add the local station that I use for my local news, I was pleasantly surprised to see they had an app. So I installed it, only to find I couldn't place it in the newsstand folder. I was annoyed. There doesn't appear to be any separation for the newsstand apps and other apps. It kicks me to the same app store.

And as I previously asked, what exactly does newsstand do that makes it different? The only app in my newsstand (and I don't even use it) is NY Times. But wasn't there a NY Times app before? Didn't it work essentially the same as it does now?

Newstand is for "print" newspaper and magazine subscriptions and not news related apps.

The idea behind Newstand is to have all your news and magazine subscriptions in one place. That said it's not much different then having your own folder of newspapers and magazines. I do believe though any ones that are designed so they go in Newstand are supposed to update automatically.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Newstand is for "print" newspaper and magazine subscriptions and not news related apps.

The idea behind Newstand is to have all your news and magazine subscriptions in one place. That said it's not much different then having your own folder of newspapers and magazines. I do believe though any ones that are designed so they go in Newstand are supposed to update automatically.

The auto-updating seems to be on a publisher by publisher basis. Only 1 of the 4 subscriptions I have actually download the new issues.

SmittS

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
The concept is nice, but I wish Apple would tighten up and require these publishers to get on board. My Wired subscription works with Newstand, but SI and ESPN are still stand alone apps and issues won't download in the background. Hell, I can't even get ESPN to open.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Apple wants us to stare at a bookshelf on the homescreen. Why Apple Why must I look at that empty bookshelf??

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I tried to stick it in a junk folder (where I put most of Apple's apps) and it wouldn't let me drop it in there.

There is a trick to getting it into a folder, which is explained if you will read the article that was linked to.

Norinion

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
I tried to stick it in a junk folder (where I put most of Apple's apps) and it wouldn't let me drop it in there.
I'm just waiting for a jailbreak so I can delete the app off my homescreen.

Search up "NoNewsIsGoodNews" it will delete/remove/hide Newsstand

and @rdstoll you can use SBSettings' "more" options to hide certain icons, which i use to hide videos, stock, etc, etc

Edit: Your phone needs to be jailbroken

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't really get the concept either.

What's next, will iOS 5 have an 'Angry Birds' folder that automatically contains all Angry Birds games and Angry Birds rip-off games? Or an enforced 'Communications' folder that sucks up all my IM apps?

And what of the folks who liked having the New York Times right on the home page? Oh well, sucks to be them.

Why do I need Apple to gather these apps up for me?

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I don't really get the concept either.

What's next, will iOS 5 have an 'Angry Birds' folder that automatically contains all Angry Birds games and Angry Birds rip-off games? Or an enforced 'Communications' folder that sucks up all my IM apps?

And what of the folks who liked having the New York Times right on the home page? Oh well, sucks to be them.

Why do I need Apple to gather these apps up for me?

I tend to agree with this. If all the newsstand is really doing extra now is downloading new issues automatically (and even this appears) to be spotty, do they really need a dedicated folder for this? Couldn't the NY Times just download automatically if you have the app installed? Or have it set by preference to download automatically or download when you enter the application?

I definitely think Newsstand needs to be reworked. While a few people may find it useful, I think for most people it needs to have a bit more oomph in it to really be worthwhile.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I hate newsstand. I wish I can turn it off. It is useless. All the apps that work with newsstand require you to pay for a subscription to use it. The NYTimes app is total garbage I went to read a article about Netfllix and it only let me read the first sentence and then I have to pay for a subscription. I removed it right away. That is all newsstand has is pay-wall subscription apps so why can't I go into my settings and turn it off so I don't have a icon that is just empty. At least it can let me put it in a folder but no you can't even do that.

Norinion

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
I hate newsstand. I wish I can turn it off. It is useless. All the apps that work with newsstand require you to pay for a subscription to use it. The NYTimes app is total garbage I went to read a article about Netfllix and it only let me read the first sentence and then I have to pay for a subscription. I removed it right away. That is all newsstand has is pay-wall subscription apps so why can't I go into my settings and turn it off so I don't have a icon that is just empty. At least it can let me put it in a folder but no you can't even do that.

As I said
Search up "NoNewsIsGoodNews" it will delete/remove/hide Newsstand

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY

I will NEVER EVER jailbroken my device. As usual Apple won't let you customize your device without breaking it. This is why I prefer a PC at least I can hide icons on the desktop I don't want to show up.

All Apple needs to do is give you the ability to hide it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My major quibbles are (1) inability to see subscription and/or per-issue cost beforehand, (2) subscription management, (3) dedicated newsstand store (with categories and separate free/paid lists), and (4) issues management (delete issues and re-download).

Otherwise, I think Newsstand is a step in the right direction.I would like Game Center to do the same.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I will NEVER EVER jailbroken my device. As usual Apple won't let you customize your device without breaking it. This is why I prefer a PC at least I can hide icons on the desktop I don't want to show up.

All Apple needs to do is give you the ability to hide it.

I agree... there's tons of things Apple could so easily implement but they just don't. I don't know what their reasoning is for a lot of it. Maybe so they can introduce "200 new features" every time they roll out an iOS upgrade. Whatever the reason, I often feel like a mut on a short leash tied to a rusty fire hydrant in Cupertino.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
My major quibbles are (1) inability to see subscription and/or per-issue cost beforehand, (2) subscription management, (3) dedicated newsstand store (with categories and separate free/paid lists), and (4) issues management (delete issues and re-download).

Otherwise, I think Newsstand is a step in the right direction.I would like Game Center to do the same.

I would think Newsstand is great too if everything was not behind a paywall that needs a subscription. All I know is I tried a few so called FREE APPS and all of them had a paywall and need a subscription. So I don't want or need newsstand. Let me hide it from the Springboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.