Newsstand

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zorn, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Having an issue getting Newsstand to, well, function. My understanding of it was that I wouldn't have to have a Time app, and a Newsweek app, a Wired app , a NYT app. But when I open Newsstand all it does is tell me content can be added from the App store? And I still have to download myriad magazine apps. Am I missing something? Or is it not functional yet?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Newstand is designed to use custom apps developed using the new Newstand framework (which enables the background downloading). Right now there are no such apps. I would not expect any until iOS 5 goes live.

3. Zorn thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Huge disappointment. I would have thought they'd automatically hook into existing magazine apps and pull them in.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think Apple's hope/expectation is that the existing apps will be updated to support NewsStand so people won't have to install new apps, the existing ones will magically just work when they update. The state we are in right now is normal: loads of cool new features and APIs but no apps in the store that support them. This happens every year during the beta periods.

5. besnfrd macrumors member

besnfrd

It's too bad you can't move it to a folder. It has to sit on your home screen dormant. Sucks.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yep. Because it's a folder itself. And you can't put folders in folders...

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

So if I understand correctly I can put apps in there. I tried to add NYTimes to it but i guess we will have to wait for it to do it automatically because it wouldn't let me

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think you can add non-NewsStand compatible apps to it. It's a special folder. At the moment it's completely useless unless you are developing a NewsStand app.

9. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

gotcha, but I would assume that these developers would make them newsstand compatible before iOS 5. I can't see why something like NYTimes won't end up being on the newsstand

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They almost certainly will. But Apple normally only start accepting submissions using the new APIs 2 weeks before the final public release of a major iOS release and they put them live in the app store on the day of public release.

11. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I have zero use for the Newsstand, since I don't read or subscribe to anything like it, which makes it very annoying. I can't stand being forced to have an icon on my home screen that I will never use :mad: