Newsstand

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by irDigital0l, Oct 15, 2011.

1. irDigital0l Guest

I dont get it...

I understand that you need to pay for subscriptions but I downloaded the NYT and Im able to read it.

Is iTunes automatically charging I preview a magazine? I never subscribed to NYT before.

Same goes for other magazines.

2. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

NYT allows you to view some content but to get all of it you have to subscribe. I would like to subscribe, but I will pay $20 per month for an online newspaper when hell freezes over.:eek:

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

4. RealJustin macrumors newbie

I just wish I could throw newstand in a folder or delete it...

5. elfy macrumors 6502

You can. Create a folder by dragging one app on top of another and, as the animation of the folder being created is running, quickly drag newsstand into it. Just don't try to open it when it's in there or it'll crash your springboard. Move it out if you need to use it. It might take you a few goes to get it right but it does work. See!

Attached Files:

6. RealJustin macrumors newbie

Nice. got it to work in about 5 tries. thanks

7. Airmark1 macrumors regular

If you need the app(s) in that folder you could just use the search bar. I assume the Newsstand/Folder error will be fixed soon.

EDIT: funny how that little bastard app just jumps all over the place and wont stay still.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's A Feature

Or addition I could do without....Especially since most titles are US based, but UK stuff might become available, and I might use it on my iPad. On my phone it just sits there taking up space.

iPad needs a complete re-organise anyway, some apps I have not used for a long time can come off, might lose 5 or 6 folders full of junk!

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Why do you have iBooks in a folder called "Not Used"?

iBooks is an optional downloadable app from the App Store, if you don't use it, delete it.

You can also hide the iTunes app if you go into Settings > General> Restrictions

10. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Which is what Newsstand should have been.

11. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Is it just me or does the current selection only feature 11 titles?

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

iAgree.

I do find it to be a useless app on my iPhone, but a rather useful app on my iPad (larger screen + better magazine options)

Its not just you, thats all they are offering now.

This feature makes much better sense on the iPad.

13. elfy macrumors 6502

'Not Used' probably isn't the best name for the folder because I do occasionally use those, just pretty rarely.

14. mikehockenballs, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

mikehockenballs macrumors member

mikehockenballs

Newsstand

I would have liked newsstand to be an app that I could download adobe pdf images of magazines for free and read them at my leisure.

But it seems like its just another way of extracting money to read magazines and newspapers, because the only ones that I can see that are available are chargeable.

I can download magazines in pdf format to my PC already and I would like to be able to add them to the newsstand app to read whenever I like, is this possible?

How would I add the adobe pdf files of magazines to my iphone 4 using itunes?

Cheers!

15. Haruhi macrumors regular

16. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I can't get this to work on my 4S, I'm not sure it's that I'm too slow, because the Newsstand icon is completely unresponsive while the animation is taking place.

17. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

If you already have pdfs, add them to iTunes and on the Books tab check them to sync. They will be in the iBooks app for reading.

18. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

You can sync the PDFs in to iBooks :).

19. Jfondren3 macrumors newbie

Why wasn't newsstand combined to the iBooks app. That would have made things much better.

20. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

iBooks and Newsstand should have been consolidated into a single app. It's absolutely ridiculous to have them as separate apps.

The same goes for the Music, Videos, and iTunes apps. They should be consolidated into one app called Media for crying out loud.

While I'm on my rant, why in the hell did they create a Reminders app? The functionality is great but it should be integrated into the Calendar app. Duh!

Also, Find My Friends should be a system-level feature built into iOS. Why make it a separate, optional app? Make it an optional iOS FEATURE.

Apple is getting too App-happy and forgetting their minimalist roots and importance of simplicity.

21. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree with:

• Reminders and Calendar
    • Music and Videos
    • iBooks and Newsstand
    • iTunes should be part of Music.app (it should be like in iBooks were the shelf flips to reveal the Book Store)

and I want to add:
    • Phone.app and Contact.app, why two apps for the same thing?
    • Compass should be part of Maps