Newstand: I HATE this

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jsh1120, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsh1120, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

jsh1120 macrumors 65816

OK. Updated to iOS 5 yesterday, an exciting and involving process of only 11 hours. Now I have "Newstand," an un-removable folder for magazines, newspapers, etc that has abducted my New Yorker app and makes it impossible to move it anywhere else.

If it were possible to place other apps, e.g. USA Today, Washington Post in the Newstand app I'd be more inclined to put up with it. But now I have a folder icon that holds all of my news-related content except the New Yorker which sits all by itself in a silly bookshelf icon that takes up extra space on my screen.

And no, I'm not interested in Bride, Elle, or the Oprah Magazine.

Newstand: FAIL.

P.S. Apologies for starting a thread complaining about Newstand without checking thoroughly to see that another thread exists for similar complaints.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't like newstand either. Like other bloatware from Apple, it has been banished from the main screens, and resides in the last one, which I never visit. It won't go in a folder, for some reason, but I'll never see it, so I guess that isn't such a big deal.

Fortunately, the crappy apps don't take up much storage space, but I still don't appreciate Apple filling up my devices with this garbage. Why I am prevented from controlling what apps are on my devices is a mystery.

3. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

I agree. I don't see why they needed to have it mandatory on the device. It should have been treated the same as ibooks, go to the app store and get it if you want it.

4. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Incredibly, most of Apple apps are useless.

I have a folder with most of them at the last page. They should really make an option to disable them.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

Yep. All of them have pretty interfaces. And, all of them suck. I think this clearly demonstrates the hard work and ingenuity of developers, who have put these apps to shame. Hanging their head in disgrace, Apple ought to give us the option to delete these (I am well-aware that this is unlikely). Of course, I'd like this to include the option to choose my own browser and my own mail client. Again, why I am forced into their Procrustean bed is a mystery to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.