Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget claims that according to two separate "trustworthy" sources, Apple is working on incorporating electronic books into the next versions of the iPod.

We'd say the possibility is very real, since according to a source at a major publishing house, they were just ordered to archive all their manuscripts -- every single one -- and send them over to Apple's Cupertino HQ.

They also claim that the upcoming iPod will have "a substantial amount of screen real estate" alongwith a book-reading mode for easy reading. This rumor is consistent with long-standing rumors of a full screen video iPod that would launch alongside iTunes Movie sales.

Engadget believes that Apple would also launch electronic book sales via iTunes as well to provide content for this new iPod functionality. The reliability of Engadget's sources are unknown.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i'm using my ipod 90% for audiobooks. if i could read books and journals it would be great. damn, apple, another $400 goes down......:eek:

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
I agree that this would be cool, but what would make it even better is enhanced iSync or other capability for third parties to take advantage and make content available. I suppose the iTMS could handle it, but the user should be able to load whatever he or she wants on it, I would think.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
boncellis said:
I agree that this would be cool, but what would make it even better is enhanced iSync or other capability for third parties to take advantage and make content available. I suppose the iTMS could handle it, but the user should be able to load whatever he or she wants on it, I would think.

well as long as it can be imported into iTunes then its all good.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I remember reading rumors that there will also be text-to-speech features in the new iPod. If they combine books and this, that'd be awesome.

I don't care about screen real estate, eBook readers or any of that. Give me a 100GB hard drive!

Fishes,
narco.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Throw in a spanish-english dictionary with either voice recognition or the ability to spell out the word to find the meaning and I am there.

And add the ability to make voice notes in the margins, and highlight text.

If this is true, it will probably be the end of buying books for me. Imagine the trees saved, the gas and space saved in moving vans. The empty spaces in shopping malls and big block shopping centers.

"What's a book mommy?" "Well, It was like an iPod, but made out of trees"

Evan_11

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
I'm not sure about novels but I would love to be able to read articles from Time, Wired, New Yorker et cetera on my iPod. In the past I've copied them from the web and transferred them into a 'note' file for viewing on my iPod. However I'd love to be able to download them from iTunes like a podcast. 99 cents wouldn't be un-reasonable if it's a well written article and it's advertisement free.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This rumor has popped up before--and I think it's almost a BETTER use of a large(r) screen than videos. If my music was already in my pocket, and then as an "extra" with no additional bulk I could also have a book to read, that would be very cool.

As with movies, though, I'd prefer a subscription model (and priced low accordingly). I seldom watch the same movie--or read the same book--twice. It's not like music.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Last time I checked iPods and batteries aren't much of a renewable resource.
TheAnswer said:
Throw in a spanish-english dictionary with either voice recognition or the ability to spell out the word to find the meaning and I am there.

And add the ability to make voice notes in the margins, and highlight text.

If this is true, it will probably be the end of buying books for me. Imagine the trees saved, the gas and space saved in moving vans. The empty spaces in shopping malls and big block shopping centers.

"What's a book mommy?" "Well, It was like an iPod, but made out of trees"

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Sounds great. Better than carrying a real book around (*assuming you don't run out of batteries ).

There are ebook readers for PDAs and Smartphone - there's no reason why it shouldn't work with iPods.

Good progression of the iPod.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
apple needs to fix the video handling of movies in itunes before anyhting can really be done, its a real mess right now
andreas

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
atticus1178 said:
wouldnt the screen strain the eyes?

Yes. Yes it would.

Until display resolution matches paper resolution, the e-book will remain relatively unpopular.

This does seem to make a serious run at the "iPod for Education" crowd, though -- fighting to keep brand loyalty with the kids, I spose ...

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
Well if they make it so you can zoom in or choose your text size then that'd be awesome. Otherwise, for those of us who are visually impaired, it's a load of *****.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Eyes...

I think reading from my ipod would give me headaches..... It would maybe be okay for short stories or headlines you could load on it, but a whole book??? cmon even if they make a big screen it would never be bigger than the screen of a paperback and just imagine if reading a really long text from the computer strains some peoples eyes what would a small screen do to you?

gregbenj

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
Integrate motion sensors! With a flick of the wrist, the page will turn. Hot Damn!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.