Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likosoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
I was just lookin at the previous updates of the powerbook, and it came to my attention that the powerbook 17 inch has had the same ATI card for over a year now, so I was wondering if the next powerbook update would have a new and faster ATI video card. Because if it does it's worth waiting to buy one then instead of now. Any ideas?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
They could put the X300 or X600 into the Powerbooks. I'm not sure about heat issues with those cards though. Also, I'm pretty sure those are PCIe cards, so that probably wouldn't work on second thought...

That leaves the 9800 Mobility as Apple's last choice for a mobility graphics chip, but I think thats a big, hot chip, so I wouldn't count on it.

Xephian

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
United States
Now that ATI is making the X900 series for PC, Apple really needs to update their video cards in the powerbooks. Most likely when they switch to Intel, they will have something alot better since they can use PC video cards.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Xephian said:
Now that ATI is making the X900 series for PC, Apple really needs to update their video cards in the powerbooks. Most likely when they switch to Intel, they will have something alot better since they can use PC video cards.

Right now Apple isn't even limited by using "Mac Only" video cards. On the Powerbooks, they're limited by the lack of PCIe, which the Intel Powerbooks should (hopefully) have.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
crazzyeddie said:
Right now Apple isn't even limited by using "Mac Only" video cards. On the Powerbooks, they're limited by the lack of PCIe, which the Intel Powerbooks should (hopefully) have.

Hopefully ATI will adapt their Mobility X300/X600/X700/X800 chips to the AGP bus, since I doubt Apple will go PCIe on the G4 mobile line.

Right now I can't guess as to where the G4 Powerbooks are headed, but until the Pentiums show up I suspect the speedbumps are going to be pretty conservative - just enough to keep them selling. Problem is, by Summer '06 the base cards (Radeon 9550, Go5200) in the portables will be ancient, and the Radeon 9700 will be only average.

Whatever happens, it better not include the words "Intel integrated graphics"!

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I would not want to see an X300 put in the powerbooks. I have used those before in PC desktops with 128MB VRAM and PCI Express and the Radeon 9700 in the current powerbooks with only 64MB VRAM beats it out.

1nsanity

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2005
Who knows maybe we'll see a 256mb version of the 9700 or a new model just for mac that is basically a 9700 wit higher clock speeds and maybe new technology.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
lopresmb said:
not possible to put a new logic board in the 17" with a PCI -e instead of an AGP???

It's possible, but I'm not sure that Apple is planning such a significant redesign to the Powerbook G4's logic board. Remember, right now they're focusing on getting a Pentium M laptop designed, prototyped, finalized and manufactured in quantity by this time next year. The Powerbook G4 is a "lame duck design" at the moment, and they won't do anything they don't have to do to keep it selling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.