Next Big Mac Event?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OC92, Jan 29, 2008.

1. OC92 macrumors newbie

Which Mac Event is most likely to produce the announcement of the new iPhone? I doubt Apple will let a phone company announces one of their most anticipated products at MWC. However, I could see them announcing it at the end of February with the SDK release. Any other likely event in the near future that might have Apple announcing their new product?

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

My guess is that it would be a special event.

3. mets1125 macrumors regular

I think its too early for :apple: to announce the second gen iphone. The next thing we have to look forward to is the SDK release in Feb. Some ppl are saying that a 16gb version might be released then.

4. pieseller macrumors member

2nd genreation iphone? not unitl MWSF09. not a chance it will come ealrier. you may get small updates such as 16gb, but for a whole new phone. thats gonna be around a years wait.

5. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I disagree. Apple has announced they intend to launch in Asia this year, and they can't do that without 3G.

I think there's a good chance they'll announce something when they launch the SDK. New product probably won't ship till summer, but they have to announce it in advance of filing with the FCC.

But why announce a new iPhone when they release the SDK? Well, I'm no expert, but it's common for Apple-hounds to sniff out secrets buried in software. Examples of this include strings related to rentals and phones within iTunes and support for new Mac Pro video cards in OS 10.5. It seems to happen all the time.

So I'm saying that there will necessarily be information in the SDK that would reveal the next gen iPhone... and so Apple will announce them concurrently. In fact, the desire to nail down a few design criteria of the iPhone 2 before releasing an SDK may be part of why the SDK has been so slow in coming.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, good detective work, but you don't even have to go to this much effort since BOTH Steve Jobs and AT&T have said a 3G iPhone is coming in 2008.

7. constant L macrumors member

my question is... will it be held at a McDonald's

8. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Nah, feels like an Arbys event.

9. D'evilEyes macrumors newbie

"Big Mac" Event, i'm NOT thinking Arbys

10. piecinitup macrumors member

Are we going to get an exact date of the SDK release? Is everyone thinking LATE LATE Feb? Gosh, i can't wait!

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm feeling February '08...

only because, if you go to the AT&T.com website, you'll see the coverage map for 3G already configured with best coverage being the ROYAL BLUE. Sounds like they are already geared-up for the iPhone IMHO!:cool:

12. Crager724 macrumors member

Is there a World Wide Developer Conference this year? Hasn't Apple made big announcements at the WWDC in the past?

13. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

2 All Beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, did I hear someone say "Cheese" :eek:

14. rayward macrumors 65816

I'm guessing that they'll milk the SDK, and the new customers who will be attracted by the rash of third-party apps that will follow. If I remember correctly, AT&T execs said last year that a 3G iPhone was coming in '08, but maybe just in '08.

15. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

after 1 year of the phone being out sounds good. More people will be willing to purchase a 2nd time around after a year. Right before the holidays. But to get upgrade dollars they are going to have to offer much more than just 3g. Capacity and a ton of features are going to have to included. Something to really spark people to upgrade. However a small upgrade might push the holdouts over the edge so its a cat and mouse game really.

16. rayward macrumors 65816

Think about it: by the 2008 holiday shopping season there will be tons of third-party apps for the iPhone. Then they hit the shoppers with more gigs and 3G...

Taking candy from babies!

17. paduck macrumors 6502

Cell phone companies always pre-announce because their phones have to go through rigorous FCC approval before they can be sold. I am sure there are similar certifications in other countries as well. The 2G iPhone will be released just like the 1G - about three-six months before we can get our hands on it. It isn't Apple's fault, it is regulatory approval.

That doesn't mean there might not be an upgrade to 16GB in the meantime, but any changes to the phone part of the phone require new certification - and hence a public wait.