next big platform

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by liptonlover, Aug 21, 2008.

1. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

Recently there have been a few big video game breakthroughs, things that are changing how we play our games.
    1. Creativity - A lot of games are coming out that give you complete/almost complete power to do what you want, based on engines. Little big planet is a great example. Allowing you to interact properly with everything in the game.
    2. Graphics - With xbox and PS3 leading the way, 3D graphics are becoming incredibly detailed, allowing for bigger worlds, more detailed worlds, or both. GTA3 I hear is the best example of stunning graphics.
    3. Touch screens - Though the technology has been around or a while, only recently has it become a big deal. Now we have it in the DS, in our home computers, our phones, and our PDAs. It has been refined so now devices can sense pressure, multi-touch, and can be very accurate. The iPhone displays this technology best.
    4. Motion - The best achievement in my opinion. The Wii and iPhone both take advantage of motion as an input device. Unfortunately the Wii doesn't have many great titles yet that REALLY use it, but as more devices follow it's only a matter of time before we have some great motion games.
    5. Finally, MMMGs(Massively Massive Multiplayer Games)-The name of the game escapes my mind, but I heard about the biggest multiplayer first person shooter yet; 200 players simultaneously, over the internet, without taking a big toll on graphics!

So now what we need is a company to put all of this together. Most of the afore-mentioned platforms only have one of these features, barring the creative gaming. What I'm really waiting for is complete motion. It really wouldn't be hard, (meaning not much harder) I have figured out how they could do it minimally.

The user would have a set of velcro strips that will be velcro'd onto joints. This allows the game to create a 3D bone structure based on you. It's that simple! To allow more control, you could also wear gloves that have more sensors, allowing for finger movement and such to be registered. No wearing any big fancy suit, it just requires a moderate amount of velcro. I can see how it may be a slight pain putting them all on, but the experience would be worth it.

The rest of the features are pretty simple, it's just a matter of technology and money. Who can do this, What other features can be added? When will it happen?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Lots of games already have interactivity. It just happens that the biggest and most popular games (Halo, GTA etc) don't have a high level of environment interactivity.
    And arguably there haven't been many breakthroughs. In 1994 we had Doom 1, in 2004 we had Doom 3. All we're advancing is how realistic games look (which aren't) and by having more characters on screen at one point. The Wii has changed how I play games - I now play games against non-gamers and play virtual sports when its raining outside. But in my 18 years of PC and console gaming thats the biggest leap I've experienced. Games are still low brow entertainment, they still have the same plotlines, the same gameplay mechanics. They just made it shinier and kept the loading times the same.
    That's a bad example. GTA3 has subpar character models and an odd shadowing system that jitters around a bit, it's also got the Doom 3 style on/off shadowing (though nowhere near as contrasting). For new graphics look at what PC's are outputting now, or in another year or so.
    Because it's the best method for fluid controls in a portable environment. I don't think Nintendo will be dropping touchscreen support for the DS 2 or GBA 2 (if such a thing was ever to happen), I can also imagine the PSP2 to have a touchscreen.
    Going off Nintendo adding it, then Sony and its rumoured MS will have it - yea it pretty much is where gaming is heading.
    No. There is a large demand for MMO's but there will always be a huge market for single player games. Not everyone has a fast internet connection, and whilst that market exists so will story-driven single player games.

Doubt we're going to be velcroing pads onto us to map our motions into games.
    Next gen - All HD, all motion controls, retail games also available to download.

If it's anything more than that I'll eat my head.

3. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Gross. I don't need that kind of imagery in my mind. *bookmarks thread, anyway* It shouldn't be too long to see if you're right.

And I agree with much of what you said, including your predictions about the next gen.

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

As a whole, being a TARD that has been gaming since the seventies, PCs since the eighties. GAMES HAVE "MOSTLY" SUCKED THIS CENTURY!! :( There has been very little breakthroughs worth mentioning. The nineties were the golden age of gaming in my book and I hope developers get smart to why there were so many great game back then and realize that it wasn't about the graphics.

As games have gotten more expensive to make, creativity and innovation have been pushed to the back.

I have way more rants to spew, but I need to work. :eek:

<]=)

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Don't forget the POINTER! :)

Now I shall rant in general:
    Console makers -- excluding Nintendo of course -- need to fix this shortcoming and it can't be Sony's route. It's nice that they include mouse support, but since it's an option, no developers are seriously supporting it. It's not too late, PLEASE MS, reconsider... Blah!

For those that don't get a why a pointer is important, it will allow console games to be more sophisticated like PC gaming used to be -- before it was raped by the gamepad. It will also allow for better AIs.

<]=)

6. liptonlover thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree this century has been a disappointment so far game-wise. The Wii has mostly been a fail for me... so many of the titles I've tried haven't been good games at ALL, much less as motion games. They just do cutesy simple little swipes for motion. Not taking advantage of a revolutionary platform.
    I don't think the mouse is a good game input device except that every computer has one. And we're talking about consoles, not computers right now. Just wait until I'm in a position to take their jobs...

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well that's a load of tosh if I ever heard it. It sounds like you've missed off every Wii game above 85% on Metacritic.

But it is. The mouse is an incredible device that allows for limitless precision, has no boundaries (unlike analogue sticks) and can use up to 5 buttons at a time (unlike the 3 on a controller). And if you buy a good one they are just incredibly comfy and the standard for FPS, RTS, god games etc.

Consoles will always be the PC's weaker cousin until keyboard and mouse gaming becomes another standard. Since PC's can already use game controllers and everything else consoles can do :D
    You're taking their jobs? :confused:

8. liptonlover thread starter macrumors 6502a

admittedly I haven't had the chance to play too many games so far compared to how many are out there, but here's what I have played.

wiisports:*****
    wiiplay:***
    big brain academy:*****(but would be great without motion as well)
    mario kart wii:*****
    brawl:fail
    raving rabbids 1:fail
    raving rabbids 2:***(gets boring after a while)
    wing island:**
    mario party:fail (major disappointment... my family and I have always loved mario party)
    wiiolympics:*

I think there may be one or two more I've played and just can't remember, but anyways there's my ratings.

I get so frustrated when companies do horribly when they have the chance to do something great... but really I'm not interested in their jobs. Just ranting.

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

You don't really have the good Wii games listed there. Well, except for Mario Kart, Brawl and Wii Sports. Play Metroid and you'll see how brilliant Wii controls can be. Tell me you played Brawl with either the Classic Controller or Gamecube controller....anything else and it feels like rubbish.

10. liptonlover thread starter macrumors 6502a

it was rubbish... I had high hopes that they'd be creative in using the wiimote for it... but they did just one pathetic little swipe for one pathetic little attack and that's it. It really isn't a bad game, but I'm rating them as wii games not as regular games.

you mean super mario galaxy? I keep hearing it's the best game ever...

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Eh, what game are you on about?

I'd hardly say the use of Wiimote dictates how good the game is. Galaxy didn't use the Wiimote to it's full extent but it's one of the best games I've ever played, Brawl doesn't use it at all and I haven't played any other console game since it launched 2 months back.

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Personally, I think the revolution in gaming recently has NOT been hardware!

It's true we've had some amazing technology breakthroughs, with items like programmable Pixel Shaders changing how artists create art for games.

On the technology side what the push has really been about is relieve limitations. Not every game needs 1000 characters or huge worlds, but if you have an environment where all that is possible, you start to have freedom to make anything. The tech isn't so much about gameplay, it's about enabling artistic vision.

But here's where I think the revolution has been for gaming recently...

The realization by developers, publishers, and gamers that more isn't always better. The rebirth of "classic" style gaming with XBLA and PSN, WiiWare, etc. Opening the doors to independent developers.

And it's the community's participation in the gaming industry as a whole, not just in indie developers, but in the voice of the fanbase being accessible and heard by the developers. Look at Mega Man 9, Street Fighter 4, etc. These are games that were practically put into development based on fan response.

Mix in that with digital delivery service and I think that's what has been the major revolution for gaming. Less is More. Nintendo showed the world you don't need the highest resolutions and best graphics, that if you just lower the graphics bar in a game you suddenly have so much more you can do with the power you've got.

Developers are finally starting to "get" that it's not about realism, it's about Art Style; with games like Team Fortress 2, Zelda: Wind Waker, MadWorld, and even Half-Life 2 (which took the approach of making characters uniquely un-realistic hides the imperfections, and makes them MORE realistic).

Motion control I don't personally think revolutionize gaming, I don't think they have yet to improve gameplay in most cases. But what they have done, which is extremely important, is made non-gamers love video games, they made games accessible, and that is going to have a long lasting positive effect on the entire industry!

13. liptonlover thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimmi I was talking about brawl. If it had just been another video game, I think it's a fine sequel but I have always been expecting more/different for the wii because it's not like other consoles. And though they did a fine job with brawl without motion, there's just something unappealing about it for me. I loved the first two smash bros, and I expected to love this one but I just don't.

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Back on topic, regarding the next big platform...

I think JackAxe has made a great point, and that is what will make waves. Old technology in new consoles, haha.

Perhaps some of you remember the Phantom console, that even Robbie Bach was involved in (creator of the original Xbox). It seems to have been a real phantom as everyone thought, but I think it was ahead of its time and a visionary.

A console with controllers, but also an official keyboard and mouse (the awesome, imo, LapBoard). Then, no physical media, all games delivered digitally.

That's what is going to be a big deal as even raggedjimmi mentioned. Digital distribution of full new retail games, mixed in with official support for a keyboard and mouse throughout the entire system.

I don't think those features will or should be exclusive. I think the next Xbox system, for example, will have Blu-ray, include wireless controllers, wireless n, and obviously HDMI (as new 360s already have).

But added to that full distribution of games digitally (this might still happen on the 360), and the introduction of official k/m support and devices. Oh, and have a built in HDD for pity sakes. :p

The problem is this might just shift the rest of PC games to consoles... which couldn't be good for Windows market share. The up side is that MS owns the 360 hardware, and gets license fees on the software.

In my perfect world, you could even by a copy of Windows on a disc and boot into it any time you want and use the system as a PC, and install Steam... heh. And of course, they release a danged web browser on the Xbox3 like the PS3 has.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Can't argue with that ;)

Exactly! I'd count Megaman 9 in there too. Though the games you mentioned do make use of some powerful rendering techniques (mostly Phong shading in TF2), they look bloody incredible. Part of the reason why I come back to TF2 time and time again is the art direction. It makes me smile seeing a funny pose by somebody who just killed me, or seeing Heavies have a sandvich picnic. It's genius and IMO (when maxed out) has better graphics than Bioshock, Gears of War, Twilight Princess etc. Like Windwaker, I connected more with Link in that game in than in TP just because his exaggerated eyes were so expressive.

I'm glad too that devs have realised that realism does not mean realistic graphics. It's about how the emotions and such of the characters are portayed. Games aren't supposed to be real, they're not even supposed to mimic it (at least with current hardware).

Yup. It's more marketing than anything else. More casual gamers can add to the hardcore market in time. Anything that brings in more potential customers is brilliant for me.
    If the revolution was to bring more gamers to the market then they achieved it in spades.

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Yeah, I know we're talking about out consoles, BUT, haven't you noticed that a chunk of popular console games now days were derived from PCs? :) Haven't you noticed that line between PCs and consoles now days is quite blurred?

And It's not a good gaming device, speak for yourself! :D Well, it's not good for all games, but as raggedjimmi pointed out, some games absolutely excel with it.

If PC games were being made for the PC first, then ported to the console, I couldn't care either way -- because I'm selfish, but in recent years, many games have switched to a console ports first, then the PC -- this sucks. This has severely messed up the game mechanics and it's us PC guys that have got the shaft. Instead of getting a great home made meal like we're used to, we've been getting Happy Meals, but without the toy. :(

If consoles are going to get exclusives on games that were originally designed around a pointer, they need a dedicated pointing device, it's that simple. Nintendo is the only one that got it right this generation.

<]=)