Next big release?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RRalston3, Mar 17, 2008.

1. RRalston3 macrumors newbie

hi i am looking into buying a mac book pro for college sometime this summer and i am just curious if anyone knows when i can expect the next big update to the mac book pro. Thanks

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Late Summer, so hold out for an update and the ipod promotion if you can.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Since the MacBook Pros were updated very recently, I would not expect another update in general until at least June.

4. RRalston3 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok cool yeah i think i will wait, has there been any news about when a BIG update will be, like major renovations or a entirely new lap top?

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That's always a closely guarded secret. We won't hear anything until at least WWDC.

6. inspir3 macrumors newbie

A Major release might be during Macworld 09 IMO.
    But the current design is bloody hot already, i really don't know what else 'Major' apple can do ( being practical here guys). theres alot of small things that we're all hoping for, but no drastic changes.

7. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

Directly from MacRumors :)

"DailyTech reports that Intel is planning to replace the Santa Rosa mobile platform with Montevina this June. More specifically, they claim that Apple will be revising their notebooks again this June to incorporate newest chipsets:
    Apple insiders confirmed the company will refresh its notebook lineups in June, which comes as no surprise since all Centrino partners indicated they will announce notebooks based on the new Montevina Centrino 2.

Alongside the platform refresh will be new Penryn processors with faster front-side buses (1066MHz) than the current revisions (800MHz). Apple just updated their MacBook Pro with the latest Penryn processors,

Menawhile, Digitimes details Intel's aggressive timetable with plans for Santa Rosa (Merom) to drop from 60% of shipments in the 1st quarter to 35% of shipments in 2nd quarter. Even the just released Santa Rosa (Penryn) is expected to be phased out by year's end to make room for Montevina.

Indeed, we had heard that Apple's introduction of Penryn-based MacBooks ahead of their usual product cycle was due to Intel's planned phase out of the older chips."

8. pointycollars macrumors regular

Probably at the WWDC in June, but since that'd be only three months after their previous update, I kind of doubt it. Although, Intel seems to be calling the shots when it comes to Apple updating their hardware these days, so I could be wrong.

9. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

just curious, if you know you will be waiting until at least summer to purchase, don't you think that leaked/rumor info would be more accurate at a date that is closer to when your purchase period is? All we really have is conjecture at this point, so no one knows when the next big update will be. At WWDC I am hoping to see a new MBP because that is when I am going to upgrade from my PBG4, but if all we see is a speed bump, that is fine.

10. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

everyone here is right.

the best time to buy a MBP is now