Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RRalston3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
hi i am looking into buying a mac book pro for college sometime this summer and i am just curious if anyone knows when i can expect the next big update to the mac book pro. Thanks

RRalston3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
ok cool yeah i think i will wait, has there been any news about when a BIG update will be, like major renovations or a entirely new lap top?

inspir3

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
A Major release might be during Macworld 09 IMO.
But the current design is bloody hot already, i really don't know what else 'Major' apple can do ( being practical here guys). theres alot of small things that we're all hoping for, but no drastic changes.

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Land of Cleve
ok cool yeah i think i will wait, has there been any news about when a BIG update will be, like major renovations or a entirely new lap top?

Directly from MacRumors :)

"DailyTech reports that Intel is planning to replace the Santa Rosa mobile platform with Montevina this June. More specifically, they claim that Apple will be revising their notebooks again this June to incorporate newest chipsets:
Apple insiders confirmed the company will refresh its notebook lineups in June, which comes as no surprise since all Centrino partners indicated they will announce notebooks based on the new Montevina Centrino 2.

Alongside the platform refresh will be new Penryn processors with faster front-side buses (1066MHz) than the current revisions (800MHz). Apple just updated their MacBook Pro with the latest Penryn processors,

Menawhile, Digitimes details Intel's aggressive timetable with plans for Santa Rosa (Merom) to drop from 60% of shipments in the 1st quarter to 35% of shipments in 2nd quarter. Even the just released Santa Rosa (Penryn) is expected to be phased out by year's end to make room for Montevina.

Indeed, we had heard that Apple's introduction of Penryn-based MacBooks ahead of their usual product cycle was due to Intel's planned phase out of the older chips."

pointycollars

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Cincinnati
hi i am looking into buying a mac book pro for college sometime this summer and i am just curious if anyone knows when i can expect the next big update to the mac book pro. Thanks

Probably at the WWDC in June, but since that'd be only three months after their previous update, I kind of doubt it. Although, Intel seems to be calling the shots when it comes to Apple updating their hardware these days, so I could be wrong.

PowerBookRelic

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
just curious, if you know you will be waiting until at least summer to purchase, don't you think that leaked/rumor info would be more accurate at a date that is closer to when your purchase period is? All we really have is conjecture at this point, so no one knows when the next big update will be. At WWDC I am hoping to see a new MBP because that is when I am going to upgrade from my PBG4, but if all we see is a speed bump, that is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.