Next Big Thing: $5.99 and $6.99 Albums on iTunes

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Next Big Thing: $5.99 and $6.99 Albums on iTunes

https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As noted by Engadget, Apple's iTunes store is now offering a Next Big Thing (iTunes Link) section with albums that are priced at $5.99 and $6.99 per album:

Well, we're halfway through the year and iTunes has a fine selection of artists who we think have the true grit (or pure luck) it takes to become the next big thing. Not only that, but we're offering these albums for $6.99 or less.
Typical iTunes albums cost $9.99 per album.

Article Link

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I think I have seen some cheaper albums in other international stores... but what does this all mean... I doubt all albums will drop in price. The record companies, and artists, wouldn't be too keen on that I'd imagine.

Maybe if your trying to get into the spotlight...

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks for the link. Good to see indie bands getting a shot in the big time. I initially thought this would be an article about Apple clearing out warehouse space for the upcoming holiday season. :p

monsoco

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
I am totally stoked about this. I was wanting to buy Sara Bareilles album after her song was a free iTunes download, and now the album is $6.99. Wicked. Keep up the good work Apple.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
A few weeks ago, they had some very good classic albums for $7.99. These albums ranged from pre-World War II to some pretty recent stuff.

Then, after that, they had the 20 or so iTunes best-selling albums of all time for $7.99.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
"Your request could not be completed.
The item you've requested is not currently available in the Canadian store".

...and we get the shaft again...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It's odd that Apple insists that individual tunes have consistent prices (for simplicity and for customer convenience) yet Apple has never minded having album prices that vary quite a bit, despite having originally announced both fixed tune prices and fixed album prices when they introduced the iTunes Music Store.

And of course iTunes Plus has changed the one-price-fits-all model as well.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I love this idea. I used to pay $5.99 for records back when I was in high school, and it was fun to experiment. For reference, some of the albums I bought at this price were "Murmur" by R.E.M. and "War" by U2. In other words, maybe there really is a next big thing to be found in this selection.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
NorCal
This is great. Do you think this could continue with other unsigned artists who get their music on iTunes? I mean if Apple doesn't have to cut the record company a (large) chunk they can charge less right?

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
I've seen a few of these from some decent artists that I decided to pick up. Hopefully there will be even more.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I've already bought one. They had a song called Love Song by sara bareilles for free, I ended up buying the whole album under their "Next Big Thing" pricing.

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
I purchased maps and the cinematics and not bad albums overall
and ofr the price one cant complain you know.

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
iTunes overload?

Just wondering how many extra songs were downloaded from the iTunes music store on opening weekend? I would imagine that the traffic and sales were up big time.

Just think about all those new to Apple users there will be in the coming months. Who knows they might even buy a computer or two!

Posted from my iPhone :)

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I think the issue here is licensing--not a slight to the good people of Canada. There are songs I'd like to buy from the international sites, but, for legal reasons, I can't.
Oh, I understand that they don't have the licensing squared away for us here in Canada.... but we're still getting shafted again.

What I don't like is that they can't get it together enough to settle licensing here in Canada for TV Shows, Movies, and now "The Next Big Thing". It a wonder we got an ITMS at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.