Next Career for Mid 2012 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MDMacGuy, Oct 15, 2015.

1. MDMacGuy macrumors newbie

I am in the market for a new computer, having had my 15" rMBP for over 3 years. It's getting very flaky (more about that below) and I'm tired of lugging a heavy machine all over the country just to check email, work on modestly sized Word and Excel docs and do work through web-based applications.

If I do buy a new computer, I'm considering keeping my rMBP as a backup computer that I can use when I need a little more horsepower, i.e., the same kinds of uses that I had for the last desktop computer I owned nearly 10 years ago. Spec-wise, the 2012 is still pretty robust: 500 GB SSD, 2.6 GHz i7, 8 GB memory. However, I have maxed out the 500 GB, and am having regular problems with random shutdowns, video artifacts, etc. In short, I really don't trust this computer any more which is one of the main reasons I'm looking to buy its replacement.

I have three questions:

1. Are the replacement SSDs for this era rMBP worth the effort both in terms of compatibility and speed? The replacement that I am specifically thinking about is this:

http://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=MTOS&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FLASHSSD

2. Is there a way to fix the video artifacts/freezing that won't cost an arm and a leg now that the computer is out of warranty? I'm willing to do a clean OS X install and start anew, but I do want to be able to restore the files, and, eventually, most of of the programs that I am running. I've heard that these computers have a history of problems with the dedicated GPUs, so one option I am willing to consider is finding a way to disable the dGPU and run on integrated graphics alone.

In short, would it be worth $500 for a bigger/faster HD and whatever it would cost to address the video issues to rehab a 2012 rMBA to serve as a secondary but still reliable computer?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple will fix this for free under an extended service program:
    https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

3. MDMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, THIS is a game-changer! If I'm reading the fine print, this goes beyond the 3-year warranty period. Most excellent!

Does anyone have experience with the SSD upgrades? Unfortunately, I get overly nervous about mucking around with a machine that was not intended to be upgradeable.

Many thanks, chrfr!

4. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000