Next coming iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Unter62, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Unter62 macrumors newbie

Last time I bought an iMac, after a couple of months Apple announced the intel version :) Now it's time for me to buy a new iMac and the buyer's guide says to wait for the next model, so I would like to know your opinions about some simple questions. I know, nobody know the answers... tell me just your opinion:
    - will the next iMac be the last intel-based, before to start the amd adventure?
    - will Apple offer again a display between 21.5" and 27", as my old 24"?
    - does the new iMac be available before end of 2010?
    - before end of 2010 is expected to come a new MacOS X version?
    - before end of 2010 is expected to come new versions of iWork and iLife?
    Yes, very simple questions.. :)

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

-unknown at this point
    -probably 21.5 and 27, nothing else
    -most likely
    -no
    -probably

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Most probably, as the AMD rumour is only that. A rumour.

2. We don't know, but most probably not.

3. Yes. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

4. Yes. Mac OS X 10.6.4 and then 10.6.5, and maybe 10.6.7, but if you meant 10.7, then no. Mac OS X 10.6 has been released last August.

5. Maybe, Apple sometimes releases an iLife or iWork version in August, but they may skip that for a January 2011 release.

6. MRoogle would have answered you all five of them.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

AMD is just a rumor which I personally don't believe on. Check this thread

Likely not. 21.5" and 27" are 16:9 while 24" iMac was 16:10 and 24" would use about the same res as 21.5" so makes no sense

Likely yes, as the last update was 2009. Nobody knows for sure

No, OS X 10.7 is likely coming in 2011, more info should be available in WWDC '10

Likely no. They are usually released in Q1 and Apple is concentrating on OS X 10.7 and iPhone OS. You don't want '10 with one improvement, you want '11 with multiple improvements!

5. sigamy macrumors 65816

Would a 23" iMac make sense from resolution standpoint? I'm not sure how much of a jump it is from the 21.5.

I'd like a 23" as the 27" just seems too large.

I think we will see the Core i3 and i5 make their way into the 21.5". At least as BTO options. Maybe also see $100 price drop across the line.

As others have said, no 10.7 and iLife is unknown as it could come in Fall or in January.

I'm on the last white C2D 20" iMac and looking to upgrade also. There are decent deals on the refurbs but I think I can hold off another year to see what next rev is. I definetly want quad-core.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is 2048x1152 which is 16:9 but it's very rare and would be too close to 27"

Keep in mind that i3 and i5 suitable for 21.5" are dual core (Clarkdale)

7. sh00t4par macrumors newbie

Damn I just ordered my 27" i5 iMac too. They must have just updated it since when I checked it said OK to buy. I am tempted to return it and wait.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i5 and i7 will only get a small update as they already use the fastest chips available

Sure you can wait if you want but I doubt it's worth it

9. sh00t4par macrumors newbie

It may sound silly but I am more concerned about the aesthetics. The processor is already more than enough for me. Do you think the look and design of the iMac will stay the same this year?

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Last update was the biggest one since aluminum design. It's already so gorgeous so why would Apple change it? A minor redesign is possible but even that is unlikely, so don't worry :) Redesign can be negative too, that's what I'm thinking about the iPhone 4G, yuck!

11. sh00t4par macrumors newbie

I agree it is a beauty. I'm undecided on that new iPhone design. The only thing that would upset me is if they started offering SSD options for the iMac. I would love to have gotten one installed in the iMac I ordered.

12. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

agentmouthwash

I'm also hoping for an update soon.
    I want a 21.5",but I can't see myself buying another
    computer with a Core 2 Duo processor. My last computer (MBP) has one, and I bought that over 3 years ago! It's just the principle...

I am hoping for Core i5 with i7 build to order for the 21.5", but I doubt they
    will do that.

13. christall109 macrumors 6502

I'm actually probably going to be in the market for a iMac this summer. I think I'm going go wait for USB 3.0 and now Bluetooth 3.0/4.0. [maybe bluray but that's a stretch.]

Right now you can get a 27 inch iMac i5 for $1,700 refurbished model. I'm really tempted.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Core i3 and i5 are very likely, but they are dual core. Update in WWDC '10 is possible, that's only two months away

No USB 3.0 before 2011, maybe 2012 as Intel isn't adopting it yet. I wouldn't join the endless waiting game, you'll just get disappointed over and over again