Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spizzi

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
Something dawned on me while scrolling through the Mac Pro page on Apple. Remember the original Intel 7,1 Mac Pro page? When you'd scroll down it would show all these cool nifty modules that you could plug and play? Well the Gen2 (M2-version) 7,1 single page scroll just shows a bunch of empty PCIe slots. Dumb question but why does Apple even have the current Mac Pro (M2-version) with ALL those expansion slots when they don't even allow component upgrades like GPUs? Why not just deprecate the entire full-size physical size footprint and force new customers into the petite studio model if they're not going to allow for those expansion slots to be used by big workload components like a new GPU?

Reactions: prefuse07

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Something dawned on me while scrolling through the Mac Pro page on Apple. Remember the original Intel 7,1 Mac Pro page? When you'd scroll down it would show all these cool nifty modules that you could plug and play? Well the Gen2 (M2-version) 7,1 single page scroll just shows a bunch of empty PCIe slots. Dumb question but why does Apple even have the current Mac Pro (M2-version) with ALL those expansion slots when they don't even allow component upgrades like GPUs? Why not just deprecate the entire full-size physical size footprint and force new customers into the petite studio model if they're not going to allow for those expansion slots to be used by big workload components like a new GPU?

Because the M2 Mac Pro was half-assed, and it's obvious that they rushed an apple M chip into the machine just so they can claim that they've finally "completed the transition to apple silicon", and potentially so they can justify canceling the Mac Pro line altogether (we will see if this is true as time goes on), as Timmy boy :rolleyes: and his sycophants only care about iPads, iPhones, and laptops.

No thought went into the machine (other than adding an apple M chip), and it is apparent from the useless PCIe slots.

Also, I believe that if you use one of the PCIe slots, the other ones become literally useless (no available bandwidth) -- someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

The M2 Mac Pro is a complete joke, but there are still some people that (sadly) shelled out money for it.

spizzi

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
Another question. On this Apple page, it states that:

Third-party PCIe cards

You can install many different PCIe cards in your Mac Pro, such as fibre channel cards, fibre networking cards, and pro video and audio interface cards. The PCIe bus on your Mac Pro provides up to 300W auxillary power. If your PCIe card requires additional power, such as a GPU, use the Belkin Aux Power Cable.

Mac Pro supports the same GPUs that are supported by external graphics processors (eGPUs). If you use Boot Camp and want to install a NVIDIA card to use in Windows on your Mac, don't install the card in slot 2. Learn about using AMD graphics cards with Microsoft Windows on Mac Pro (2019).

Some older PCI cards might use 32-bit Option ROMs that aren't compatible with your Mac Pro. If you install a PCI card that uses 32-bit option ROMs, your Mac Pro might not start up correctly.

So is Apple freely saying you can pretty much put a newer NVIDIA or AMD non-apple branded GPU in your Mac Pro 7,1 so long as it's a GPU that could also be found in eGPU form? (with obvious caveats like "it might not work so you smart boys and girls will need to tinker")

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So is Apple freely saying you can pretty much put a newer NVIDIA or AMD non-apple branded GPU in your Mac Pro 7,1 so long as it's a GPU that could also be found in eGPU form? (with obvious caveats like "it might not work so you smart boys and girls will need to tinker")

This statement only real makes sense if you are aware that there are no more NVIDIA GPU support with macOS since Mojave (for everything else but Kepler based GPUs) or Monterey (for Kepler based NVIDIA GPUs).

For running Windows or Linux, you can use NVIDIA GPUs - but not macOS.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

Well, you can put a 4090 in the 7,1 provided you use Windows - it won't work in MacOS. I suppose a Radeon Pro 7900 will probably work in Windows as well on the 7,1.

They would probably work fine in MacOS if Apple would get off its big fat you know what and do some drivers for these cards in MacOS, but no, they won't do that because it might mean that people won't be paying money for newer machines for a while longer.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Well if Apple would be pressured to add graphics support to their 2023 M2Ultra box, then maybe 7,1 and 5,1 owners could get a driver too.

Thing is, I get the feeling 99% of the think different pro/user enthusiasts have left apple already. We're the last few hanging around.

Basically no one even bothered to sign the petition letting apple know we'd like graphics card support for future Mac Pros. See this thread:

or this petition:

The mac is dead as a pro machine.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Well if Apple would be pressured to add graphics support to their 2023 M2Ultra box, then maybe 7,1 and 5,1 owners could get a driver too.

Thing is, I get the feeling 99% of the think different pro/user enthusiasts have left apple already. We're the last few hanging around.

Basically no one even bothered to sign the petition letting apple know we'd like graphics card support for future Mac Pros. See this thread:

or this petition:

The mac is dead as a pro machine.

Only for the 2023 Mac Pro? Then maybe they will do such drivers as bespoke ONLY for ASI Mac Pro…

Don’t trust Apple any more. They are dead to me as a maker workstations.

I'm pretty sure Apple will add the 7900XT drivers midway into Sonoma as a final gesture of "kindness" for Intel Macs.

It may be a while tho. I'm pretty happy with the 6900XT in the Intel Mac Pro 7,1 for now

Doubtful- as much as it would be nice.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Only for the 2023 Mac Pro? Then maybe they will do such drivers as bespoke ONLY for ASI Mac Pro…

Don’t trust Apple any more. They are dead to me as a maker workstations.

Doubtful- as much as it would be nice.

They held on the 6900xt for a long time then gave it to us

7900xt is probably the last GPU theyll ever support

PowerMike G5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2005
New York, NY
They held on the 6900xt for a long time then gave it to us

7900xt is probably the last GPU theyll ever support

But 6900XT support came in large part because they ultimately sold MPX modules of that GPU for the 7,1, so they had a reason to provide the drivers.

There's no reason anymore for providing 7900XT drivers unless they surprise. I suppose anything is possible and this would be a pleasant surprise, but I'm not betting on it.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Doubting any chance of a W7900 MPX module, seems extremely unlikely. And without that, the Apple mothership will give nothing...

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
I think Big Sur had references to Navi 31 (RDNA3) but nothing seems to have come of it unfortunately.

I’m sure if Sonoma had drivers, we’d have known months ago.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I think Big Sur had references to Navi 31 (RDNA3) but nothing seems to have come of it unfortunately.

I’m sure if Sonoma had drivers, we’d have known months ago.

It did, but that placeholder code was apparently revealed to be false/misleading/incorrect.

@MisterAndrew knows where to look within the OS to let us know if Sonoma indeed has drivers or not -- let's wait until he replies before further speculation.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Congratulations.
yeah I am still kinda chuffed :) got it in feb 2023... cheers BUT I also have an M1 pro MBP that I have rigged as a desktop (16/1tb) and its really good, much better than I expected with no real software problems. For general use I would say an M2 pro mac mini would also be excellent (for users that do not have pci cards or crave internal storage)

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I bought my 16 core 7,1 for half that, in sydney

The new price was something near $16,600 for the 16 core W6800X I have.

I don't mind the cost, it has been a superb machine.

I have a M2 MacBook Air 15” 16gb/1TB which is also not bad but for the things I do it’s just not as fast which is entirely expected. The MBA is not used for heavy work anyway. It does mobile tasks with awesome battery life.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.