Next gen iPhone O2 PAYG

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matttye, May 8, 2009.

1. matttye macrumors 601

Do people think that the next iPhone will come out on PAYG immediately as well as contract?

I've just sold my iPhone on eBay and hope I don't have to wait 6+ months like everyone did for the iPhone 3G on PAYG!

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Where did you get the idea that there was going to be a "new" iPhone?

However, in the unlikely scenario that there is a new model, I should think there will be a similar delay as with the 3G

3. Biolizard macrumors 6502

I read another thread on this somewhere. Depends how many units are available at launch versus expected demand. People on an original iPhone will be looking to upgrade, but those with a 3G are on 18+ month contracts so will probably keep their current device. 'Some' reckon that the iPhone might have reached a saturation point, so it's possible the launch will look a bit more muted this year, possibly freeing up units for PAYG?

It's not beyond the realm of possibility, but don't bank on it either I'd say. Just wait a month and see what happens.

4. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

I think you like disagreeing with the overwhelming evidence pointing at a new phone just to be different :p

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

No! I just believe in facts and not rumours :D

6. 226896 Guest

Come on, we all know there blatently will be a new iPhone this summer. Stop trying to fight it.

7. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Aren't you on the wrong website then... :p

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

No, of course not! There is nothing wrong with rumours, some of them can be quite interesting - you take 'em or leave 'em. However, to believe them as fact is, at the very least .... misguided! :rolleyes:

9. camperdown9 macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Right now what do we know for sure?

From what I can remember I think we had more of an idea what the next iPhone would be like this time last year.

If Apple do tell us about a new iPhone in June are we sure that O2 will have it on sale in July? Would it not be better for O2 to have the UK launch in say November? That way they might get some Christmas trade and also they could offer current iPhone 3G customers an early upgrade 2 months early. If O2 do launch an iPhone in July then there is a good chance that current iPhone customers will not be able to upgrade early, which will make a lot of people unhappy. If O2 do have an new iPhone on sale in July with no early upgrade option or pay as you go handset, then current iPhone 3g users who got the handset on 11th July 2008 are going to have the following choice to make in January.

a) Upgrade in Jan 2010 to an iPhone thats 6 months old.
    b) There was a new iPhone in Jul'08 & say there is one in Jul'09 so there is a good chance that there is going to be a new phone in Jul'10. So miss one handset and wait on the 2010 handset.
    c) Jump ship and go for a Blackberry, Android handset etc.

As I said at the start what do we know right now for sure?

Alex

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

However, you cannot rule out someone's wild speculation with your own wild speculation.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If and when Apple release the next iPhone, there is absolutely no way that O2 would chose to delay selling the new phone.

Apple like to make a song and dance about the iPhone launch days and O2 would be foolish to not tag along with the hype machine that is attached to the iPhone. They would also find it impossible to sell any more of the old models if everyone knew there was already a new and better version already available in the rest of the world. And don't forget the wave of bad publicity they would receive from disgruntled iPhone fans, you can imagine how badly this forum would be over run with complaints.

When everyone bought their 3G iPhones on O2, they should have been fully aware they were signing up for a full eighteen month contract. Anyway, the first adopters who bought their 3G last July can actually upgrade in December, just in time for Xmas. ;)

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Anyone got the actual dates PAYG was available for iPhone 3G? Is the consensus that they'd do the same - wait a few months?

If they did do PAYG - would that be a way for those on iPhone 3G contracts to immediately upgrade? BUy as PAYG, and swap the SIM in? Would leave the other handset unusable though?

We haven't even heard about rough pricing from O2 yet, or about potential for tethering.

13. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I can't remember the exact date, but it was in September.

14. sananda macrumors 68020

16th

15. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

When the new iPhone comes out

When the new iPhone comes out will it only be on contract for a while before it goes on PAYG? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

16. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

I think now they have PAYG all setup, I think it will be instant this time

17. camperdown9 macrumors regular

Why not?? They did with the first iPhone!

Also not all networks launched iPhone 3G on 11th July 2008, OK a lot did but it caused lots of issues with iTunes and the networks own systems. There is every chance that the next launch will not happen in as many countries on the same day as the last time. (Just down load some of the podcasts to hear the complaints about not getting the handset to work on 11th July 2008)

Yes but you have used the key work "speculation". We don't know anything!!

18. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Haha, I love it when people get all bitter about their purchases and try to spread FUD in an attempt to bring others down with them.

19. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Don't judge others by your own standards! :D

BTW, what purchases are you referring to? :confused:

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That wasn't O2's choice though, Apple decided to restrict the initial launch to the USA only.

I don't need to download any podcasts, I was one of the daft buggers struggling to get my iPhone up and running on the 11th July. :(

21. camperdown9 macrumors regular

Hi

If O2 are still going to be the exclusive UK network then what is to stop them setting the date that they put it on sale? I mean its not as if UK customers are going to go to someone else. (OK a few will buy it on ebay or sim free in NZ or Italy, but most will not even know that they can do this)

With regards to last 11th July. I was in the same boat as you.

Alex

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The only thing that could really stop O2 from setting a later release date is Apple. You said earlier that not all markets started selling the 3G on the 11th July but all the countries that were already selling the iPhone made that date. Apple enjoys the huge publicity that comes with such an event.

Like I stated earlier, the massive hype associated with a simultaneous iPhone release across the world is too big for O2 to miss. It was all over the internet, on TV news, on talk shows, in newspapers and magazines, you couldn't avoid the iPhone 3G. It would cost millions of pounds to generate even a fraction of that publicity at a later date and who in their right mind would buy the old iPhone when the new one is being talked about everywhere you go?

23. camperdown9 macrumors regular

Orange France did not start to sell the iPhone 3G until 17th July 2008.

No one would buy an old iPhone when the new one was due, however last time round you really could not buy the first iPhone between early June and the launch date due to stock.

Alex

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can always trust the French to do it their own way. :D