Next Gen iPod Poll

Discussion in 'iPod' started by poke4christ, Jul 5, 2007.

1. poke4christ macrumors member

So, Steve has said that Apple is working on OS X based iPods. For the purposes of this poll, let's assume that these will be in the next release. So what do you think they will be like?

When do you think the next iPods will be released. Obviously most agree that they will wait a while after the iPhone has come out, but how much time will they give?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

b4 christmas i say!!!! does only america go back to school in august>>?<>< i think they might...

3. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I think they'll wait until Leopard is out the door. They'll be too busy manufacturing iPhones in the meantime.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

iPhone without the phone or wifi. What else would it be?

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Well the first two choices are the most reasonable but it may fall somewhere it between them, say late September or October. November we're already headfirst in the Holiday buying season so there is really very little time between the two options.

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

How are these really much different? If it's a widescreen iPod then it is essentially an iPhone minus the WiFi/internet capabilities and all programs dependent on those. My guess is that it will be a hybrid of these two or just #2, there aren't a ton of major features to take out of the iPhone if you don't have internet since most are gone already. It is very conceivable, however, Apple may take out the advanced Contacts abilities or dumb that down but still leave things like the iPhone's multitouch screen since one has less ways to contact that person like a normal iPhone could do...

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

There have been plenty of polls like this but this is always fun.

I want it to be a redesigned iPhone without the phone part. Keep the WiFi just to shut up all of the ZuneFanBoys and MS lovers. The iPod 6G would rock if it had:

(1) Great battery life, last just as long as the shuffle.
    (2) Lower model has flash based HD with (hopefully) 40 or more Gigs
    (3) Higher end model with conventional HDD at 120GB
    (4) Same exact UI and portrait/landscape functions as iPhone.
    (5) Allow me to buy songs from iTunes over WiFi, that is the only thing good going for the WiFi
    (6) Maybe a bigger screen than the iPhone (around 5")
    (7) Competes with the PSP and Nintendo DS
    (8) FM Tuner for the whiners
    (9) Satellite radio integration with either Sirius or XM
    (10) A sleek new aged U2 Version that just rocks!

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Here, here...

Plus, it brings down the cost of the parts they will need for the new iPod...

9. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

Looks like my two threads got merged. That's kind of dumb. They were both unique polls.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't know what the two threads were, but did they each warrant its own thread? i think we'll see new ipods in time for the christmas shopping season, some time in october or november. i don't think it'll have wifi, but it will be widescreen and will have an amazing battery life.

11. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

One was a poll for the Release date and the other was a poll for the type of iPod. As you can see, this is the one for the type. It's cool though. I've recieved clearance to recreate it ;).

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I think it'll be something completely unexpected, they can't have it too much like the iPhone or it'll hurt the sales.

13. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'm a little confused by the choices. isn't an iphone without phone and wifi the same as a widescreen ipod without major features other than media?

14. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

That's what I thought but a Widescreen iPod could also mean one with a wide form factor but not multitouch, possibly having a virtual scroll wheel? I thought it was rather redundant as well but its possible based on the poll choices.

15. poke4christ thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it probably was a little redundant, but it's hard to put all the possiblities in voting form.

16. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I just want a widescreen iPod (like full face screen, just the boarder), running some version of OS X, along with wifi so I don't have to open up my MBP. Flash would be great for battery life, but I'm looking at expresscard 34 32Gb flash memory card... $509... no way is the iPod getting a significant amount of flash mem, that's for the nano until prices = HD prices for capacity.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can imagine an iPhone with the phone cropping up at some stage. But I doubt it'll be anywhere near the iPhone release in any country. So that sets it after Autumn when the iPhone launches here.

Once the iPhone is in all major territories I think we'll be ready for a super iPod. Until then I'll put money on the next iPod not being somewhere between a standard iPod and iPhone with the phone. Full screen with touch controls perhaps. No WiFi, possibly not even a rotation chip.

*Remember folks, Apple moved away from the 3G iPod because of the much required tactile feedback.