Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mograph187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Hey Folks!

Do we have any educated guesses on whether or not the 8-core Mac Pro would still use the exact same DIMMs as the 4-core does? I ask because I really have to purchase a new machine and would love to be able to just move the 8GB of RAM I purchase into my 8-core once released....

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Hey Folks!

Do we have any educated guesses on whether or not the 8-core Mac Pro would still use the exact same DIMMs as the 4-core does? I ask because I really have to purchase a new machine and would love to be able to just move the 8GB of RAM I purchase into my 8-core once released....

Yeah, speaking the Xeon processors use FB-DIMM, and that the two processors are pin and electrical compatible, making it a simple swap and drop. Hell, technially, you can have an 8-core now by just swapping out the 2 dual cores for 2 quad cores.

mograph187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
Ok great...

Yeah, speaking the Xeon processors use FB-DIMM, and that the two processors are pin and electrical compatible, making it a simple swap and drop. Hell, technially, you can have an 8-core now by just swapping out the 2 dual cores for 2 quad cores.

And would the same be true if the 8-core Mac Pro ends up being with the stoakly-seaburg chipset like forum user "Multimedia" has been talking about...?

One of the principle delays is that the Dual Clovertown will run best when supported by the Stoakley-Seaburg multi-core management chipset from Intel. And that isn't supposed to start shipping until this month at the soonest. I'm resigned to thinking we may have to wait until April 16th at NAB before all is revealed. Pundits at Macworld Expo said they are now thinking Leopard may ship just after that on Friday April 27 as that's the first Friday after NAB and we all know that, historically, new OS X's always ship on Fridays to maximize opening weekend sales.

Any sooner will be a pleasant surprise to me. :)

Hypothetically speaking, is this still the same deal with the FB-DIMMs and all?

Thanks!

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
And would the same be true if the 8-core Mac Pro ends up being with the stoakly-seaburg chipset like forum user "Multimedia" has been talking about...?

Hypothetically speaking, is this still the same deal with the FB-DIMMs and all?

Thanks!

Yes, still FB-DIMMS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.