Next - gen Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NbinHD, Nov 4, 2013.

1. NbinHD macrumors 6502

What are some realistic possible upgrades to the next gen Macbook Air (2014). Simple.

2. NbinHD thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be awesome - what about release date? I cant remember what the 2013 date was.

3. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

The 2013 release date was June, but the 2014 MBAs may be released in the fall IMO as they need to figure out how to put a retina display in such a thin design while maintaining the claimed 12 hours of battery.

Pretty sure IGZO and Broadwell will help substantially.

4. iRun26.2, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I would not be at all surprised if they reduce the battery life to only 8 hours on the new retina MBA. It sounds like they are going to make it even thinner than the current version and I think they will likely give up some battery life to achieve this.

Many people seem to think that the new model will immediately replace the current 11" and 13" MBA. I don't think that will be the case, at least not initially. I expect they will tout the battery life on the current MBA and the reduced size and retina screen on the new model.

Some people, including myself, would be willing to give up some battery life for a retina screen in an even thinner and lighter form factor.

5. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

See, I'm the other side of that fence where I use my MBA as a desktop connected to a monitor and BT mouse & KB. Thiness and retina is not a priority for me over battery. But I understand... :D

6. robvas macrumors 68020

I would be surprised. I can't think of a time with a laptop where Apple went DOWN in battery life compared to the previous model.

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Rurmor has it that it will be black, and have a 12" display. Rumor also has it that Apple is testing a 12" iPad. I'm of the opinion that Apple plans on merging an iPad "Pro" with the Macbook Air to give us an iMacPad ProBookAir. Like a Surface Pro, but... thinner.

iPod 2nd gen -> iPod 3rd gen. 10 hours of playback to 8 hours of playback. They were subsequently hit with a class action lawsuit, which they somehow lost, and I got $5 for. :D

8. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

Would love an iMacPad or MacBook Air Pro or iMac Air or MacAirPad or iMac Pro or MacAir Touch or ... A big Mac :D

9. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

If it turns out to be a 12" iPad with a keyboard it would be a Surface RT (not Surface Pro) because it would be an ARM based device. The Surface RT was a complete failure. Apple knows better than that.

The MBA needs a better screen, not a downgrade in what software it can run.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The Macbook Air is a $1000 device that needs a better screen. The iPad is a $500 device that needs a keyboard. The RT failed due to a lack of apps, not because it was a bad concept. Apple doesn't have the lack of apps, I think they can pull it off.

11. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

If apple just makes something different this time even if it is crap I'm sure they will sell like hot cakes. What's wrong with apple without Steve. They are so not bold anymore.