Next Gen Macbook with larger screens a posibility?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mapple Store, Sep 11, 2015.

?

would you like a bigger screen on the new macbooks?

1. Yes!

57.1%
  2. No!

42.9%
  1. Mapple Store macrumors newbie

Mapple Store

12 inches made it a very portable form factor, but a bigger screen would definitely boost future sales. maybe its just a matter of a year or two. a 14.6 or 15 inch perhaps.

2. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Unlikely you'd see screens that big; I'd bank on 14".

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would like to see a 13 or 14 inch screen, nothing larger.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm sure as soon as it is practical for Apple to fit enough power to label it as a MBP in something that thin we will see a 15" version. I expect the same thing to happen as happened when the MBA was first introduced. The first gen is underpowered and only good for a small percentage of the market, but over the course of a few years Apple gets things right with it and then moves all of their laptops to a similar form factor.

5. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Apple got it right for the first gen on the RMB. It's not underpowered for what its owners use it for. Those who buy the RMB do so for its best-in-class form factor and its performance for everyday tasks like spreadsheets, word docs, Powerpoint presentations, emails, browsing, video watching, Skype, Dropbox, Slingbox, Windows 10, etc. It's not our primary workhorse, it's our secondary travel machine. It's not a minivan, it's a convertible.

Now, if your argument is that down the road Apple will kill the Air and come up with a line of RMB's in various sizes that are designed for the same type of heavy lifting as the Pro, different story. But for now, "Apple got it right" with the RMB. In fact, they got it perfectly right.

BJ

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes they got it right for the people that buy it, same as they did for the first gen of the MBA, but at the same time it isn't going to be great for a large audience yet. And yes, just like the air killed off the Macbook last time around I expect the new Macbook to kill off the air in a few generations when they start to have comparable specs and enough manufacturers have transitioned to USB C that it is practical for everyone.

7. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I'm hoping the transition goes a little quicker with the new Macbook than it did with the Air. It took 3 and a half years for the Macbook to really reach maturity and replace the old Macbook. I'm hoping to see the new Macbook replace the Air by Gen 3 at the latest. While mobility is not the priority for my needs, I could see a Macbook with external monitor being the perfect replacement for my iMac in a couple years: mobility on those occasions when I do want it, but otherwise docks simply via USB-C.

8. joscejrod macrumors 6502

joscejrod

It's simple. You're going to have the solution in months. Second generation skylake 12" macbook with improved cpu/graphics/battery and better facetime camera(its main flaws) for mobility use and imac skylake retina5k for home.

9. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

No, not from the first 13" retina MacBook. It was a laggy and underpowered disappointment (firsthand experience).
    I'll agree that it has evolved to become very, very good.

10. HoiPiet macrumors member

HoiPiet

i'd guess its likely. I think MBP will get a makeover this next refresh.

I sure hope they have a last refresh of the MBA. The idea that the MB is "perfect" and has "best in class form factor" is opinion.

11. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I'm thinking Skylake will be the last upgrade it gets, then EOL by the time Kabylake is released.

12. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

It's only "laggy" and "underpowered" for those who don't understand what the RMB is supposed to be. It's not a replacement for the Pro. It's a replacement for the Air. Eight years ago the Air delivered the promise of being the lightest/slimmest Macbook in the world. So thin, it could fit in an interoffice envelope. The world rejoiced.

The RMB is not an everyday computer. It's not a multi-tasking utility player. It's not your wife's minivan. It's a situational travel partner. It's your weekend convertible.

BJ

13. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

@whiteonline: Not sure what kind of lemon you have on your hands, but my 1st gen 13" rMBP is holding up just fine. It's far from laggy or underpowered ( it is mainly used for programming + gaming with the help of an eGPU; thanks to the eGPU, the poor dual-core can actually keep up darn well with even very recent and quite demanding games at medium-high settings - there are exceptions of course ). Seems more like you had no idea what your needs are and what hardware can satisfy said needs... I'm guessing you're into audio/video editing.

14. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I think we'll see the introduction of a 15" MacBook with Retina display. The 13" & 15" Retina MacBook Pro's will remain & the MacBook Air line will finally be killed off.

That'll give users the choice of two highly portable MacBooks and those who require more power & ports will have the Pro models to choose from.

So maybe by 2017 it'll be:

12" MacBook
    15" MacBook
    13" MacBook Pro
    15" MacBook Pro

I have a feeling the Air will have one last Skylake-based update before retirement.

15. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Not gonna happen. The MacBook line never had two sizes.

They made it as portable as possible and made the keyboard edge to edge. A 14 or 15 inch would defeat the purpose of how small and light and portable it is.

16. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Agreed

Maybe a Black or a Rose Gold option but a 14/15" version would destroy the proportions IMO

17. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I agree that the current 12" version is "as portable as possible", but consider that this is probably replacing the Air. Two screen sizes make sense (12" and 14" IMO).