Next Gen MBP - GFX Improvements

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Empyre, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Empyre macrumors member

Hello all. I have a late 2008 Unibody MBP and I will be wanting an upgrade soon. I did a little bit of research regarding the jump from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge and processor-wise it looks like the improvements will be quite minimal (5-10%). I wanted to know if anyone had a good idea of how good the graphics improvements would be for the next gen MBP? I suppose I ask because this would be the difference between spending the extra money on a newer MBP versus just buying a refurb for a couple hundred less?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As always, nobody has any idea about what the next generation MBPs will have as far as specs. Since you're asking the question and don't list anything that you use your machine for, odds are any specification improvement will not be noticeable to you.

3. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

No idea, but always a bump up eh. I think the bigger jump will come with the Intel HD 4000; the X discrete card will see a smaller increase.

4. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

I'm really just a standard consumer I would say but I do game. Current machine with 9600M GT has held up for quite a while but definitely not on the most recent games. Guess I'll hold out for the next release which should be in the next 3-4 months I would assume

5. CarlosG macrumors member

I also have a 2008 MBP (2.8GHz 17") and I am thinking it may be time to upgrade soon too. There's nothing wrong with the computer really, and it can still run CAD & optical analysis software just fine. Therefore, I'm hoping that the rumours of a really high resolution screen come true, or else I may just wait a bit longer.