Next gen rMBP ghosting display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by golf1410, May 3, 2013.

1. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Do you think Apple will be more likely to slove the ghosting issue on the next gen? Maybe a new display technology, OLED? New supplier, toshiba? Surely, LG will still be there.

What about heat issue?

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Heat issue? If by heat issue you mean a very vocal 1% of users then no, they won't be solving that "heat issue" :)

As for screen retention I suspect since it's so common they are taking steps to eliminate it.

3. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

They are already supplying new machines with a second generation LG display, which should not be prone to ghosting. So far have not seen complaints from people on it, but being only out a few months, time will tell.

4. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Could you pinpoint the source of this news?

5. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

The data on the LG version 2 has been reported here by people who have purchased 2013 rMBP which are shipping with either that display of Samsung displays.

6. pedrofan macrumors 6502

They have image retention too so if they don't change them again they will have image retention again. I have read some customer's posts on apple's forums that are reporting image retention in the new SJA2 panels.
    I got my LG SJA1 replaced by a Samsung one, that is yellowish and dimmer, so I don't know what is better, if some retention or this.

7. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

My Samsung is somewhat yellowish, but that can be adjusted, some people are sharing settings on the forum, mine is not bad at all. On the brightness I have no complaints.

8. Serban Suspended

i just overlooked in my apple resellers for about 12 or 13 MacBooks pro with retina 13 and 15" that were shipped 2 weeks ago and seems like ghosting that i know how to reproduce is gone (7 LG displays and 5 or 6 samsung). The heat is ok, i have istat installed on all of them and try some high video editing and some games and the temperatures were at 90celsius at max. And for me 80-90 its ok in heavy gpu (what do you think?). And yes i understand in my resellers after this wave, starting with june only with preorders will you can buy a macbook(air/pro/rpro). So we guess that the market is starting to wait for haswell and apple knows this.

9. pedrofan macrumors 6502

Image retention use to appear after one month of use. I made a lot of tests in my first week of use with LG SJA1, and I didn't see any retention at all, so I thought my display was ok. After a month it had A LOT of image retention. If you read apple forums it's happening the same with revised version. The people saying that they have just bought it and it doesn't have any retnetion, and after a couple of weeks they report that retention is begining, and I can assure you it gets worse over time.

10. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

The ghosting issues that have been on the rMBP is not Apple's fault. It's mainly the fault of the supplier. In this case it would be LG, so either Apple needs to find a new supplier (which seems unlikely), or LG needs to come up with a solution to ensure their panels don't produce the issue.

11. jianghb macrumors newbie

12. Serban Suspended

i told you when overmax the 15" is at 75-82 celsius and 13" is about at 90 max heat

13. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

There are millions of people, literally millions who do not have heat issues. Don't think you are guaranteed to have one. I can almost assure you that you will probably not have a heat problem ever owning your MBP.

14. Serban Suspended

i think with the second (haswell) generation of retina macbook..will be the perfect no issues laptop only if the intel has no problems (beside usb)

15. golf1410 thread starter macrumors 6502a

golf1410

I used to own one MBPr back in OCT 2012. That is why I know the problems very well.