Next Gen SSD release dates?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsnuff1, Feb 2, 2011.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Ive been searching on whats up with the new 25nm SSDs that are supposed to have come out by now, and there is no recent news that I have been able to find.

Anyone know whats with with these, or if there has been any release day announcements by intel or other vendors?

Been holding on on SSDs for this update...but still no sign of them.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Crucial will be shipping its C400 lineup in February. As for Intel and others, we don't know yet. Supposedly Q1 2011

3. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Wow! A Crucial 512 GB SSD for $825 and heading down towards the $1 / GB mark when production ramps up! I'll be moving on up when those prices become reality...why not go for a dual SSD configuration HDD Bay / OptiBay for a total of 1 TB? Who needs a MacBook Air?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

And Crucial's SSDs are pretty expensive compared to others. Other manufacturers may be able to provide 512GBs for very close to 1$/GB ratio

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

You can already buy C400 based drives. The new Corsair P3 series are available today and have the same controller.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But is the new Corsair P3 using 25nm or 34nm NANDs? They offer only up to 256GB so I would guess they are still using 34nm NANDs.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The Corsair uses 34nm chips.

I don't really see a significant price drop with 25nm drives in the foreseeable future, though.

8. yk2366 macrumors member

You can put two SSD's on there to total it up to 1TB? Can someone tell me how to do this? I have no idea what "HDD BAY" means. thanks

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Replace the HD with one SSD and the optical drive with another SSD. Then put them in RAID 0 to create an array of 1TB

10. yk2366 macrumors member

does that mean that I will no longer have my CD drive if I decide to add another SSD?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. It's either two HDs/SSDs or one HD/SSD and the ODD

12. yk2366 macrumors member

I researched into it and I guess I won't be doing this anytime soon. I would prefer having my CD drive so I guess I'll wait until 1TB SDD comes out. THanks for your help

13. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Combo SSD+HDD is sick, there is one thread that talks about kits that will help you do it and make it look professional/clean

14. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Heard from OCZ today that around the end of this quarter Vertex 3 will be out with the Sandforce 2000 controller!! I'll add that one to my box as soon as it shows up.

By the way, the Corsair Performance 3 256 I tried out this week, was a POS, both performance wise (even on a stat 3 pcie card) and not to mention that 2 of them died when plugging them in to a 2010 Mac Pro native sata 2 connector within a day. Avoid at all costs, especially since they are ridiculously priced. My current Vertex 2 was much faster.

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

ironically enough, I was about to make a thread regarding SSD release dates :p
    I'm tired of HD startups...lol too slow :(

16. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I'm tired of slow HDD speeds as well. I'm planning on getting one the new 25nm SSDs when Lion launches so that I can do a fresh install on it.